Advice on SSD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Myrmidon83

Advice on SSD

Post by Myrmidon83 »

Hi guys.

I'm considering getting an SSD for my laptop and I have read into it a bit but I'm wondering if someone can clarify some things for me.

1. I understand they speed up the system but, other than boot time and app opening time, would they for example, make DE's run faster? For example, Cinnamon lags a bit on my laptop with a low nvidia card (8200m g) unless I put the nvidia graphics on performance mode. When on powersaving the clock frequency is lowered and as such Cinnamon lags as I believe its more cpu based. However, would an SSD make a difference here without putting the graphics up to performance? I'm still not clear what exactly is meant by speeding up the system.

2. Realistically, is an SSD more reliable than an HDD? I've been reading a lot about read/write numbers but it seems that there is little sense worrying about it these days, is this still the case?

3. Any recommendations for an SSD, 256gb or 250gb preferred?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nerdtron

Re: Advice on SSD

Post by nerdtron »

For example, Cinnamon lags a bit on my laptop with a low nvidia card (8200m g) unless I put the nvidia graphics on performance mode. When on powersaving the clock frequency is lowered and as such Cinnamon lags as I believe its more cpu based. However, would an SSD make a difference here without putting the graphics up to performance?
I think its the same as games, will a faster processor, and more ram make the game graphics better? Not much, but a better graphics card will. SSD takes advantage of increased read/write speeds so any process not relying read/write speed on the drive will still perform the same.
Realistically, is an SSD more reliable than an HDD? I've been reading a lot about read/write numbers but it seems that there is little sense worrying about it these days, is this still the case?
When SSDs first came out, read/write times were lower compared to spinning disks of hard drives but as technology progresses, SSD have improved. Look into the read/write cycles of your chosen SSD. Also some brands offers 5 years warranty if I'm not mistaken.
Any recommendations for an SSD, 256gb or 250gb preferred?
You'll answer to this. Depends on how much you'd use and what is your pricepoint.
computer noob

Post by computer noob »

After my laptop's HDD deteriorated, I bought an SSD.
nerdtron wrote:
For example, Cinnamon lags a bit on my laptop with a low nvidia card (8200m g) unless I put the nvidia graphics on performance mode. When on powersaving the clock frequency is lowered and as such Cinnamon lags as I believe its more cpu based. However, would an SSD make a difference here without putting the graphics up to performance?
I think its the same as games, will a faster processor, and more ram make the game graphics better? Not much, but a better graphics card will. SSD takes advantage of increased read/write speeds so any process not relying read/write speed on the drive will still perform the same.
The SSD simply decreases the time it takes to obtain data. As nerdtron said, it probably won't speed up your game much. However, they are much more reliable. How much faster they are will depend on what SATA your computer has. My laptop has SATA I, which means it can't transfer data faster than 1.5 gb/s. However, newer SATA III laptops can transfer data at a maximum of 6gb/s (page explaining SATA here: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detai ... d-sata-iii). One page I found invaluable when looking for an SSD was a Lifehacker article: http://lifehacker.com/5932009/the-compl ... ate-drives. I ended up buying a Crucial MX100 256 gb, as it suited my needs the most and was the best bang for your buck I could find. It sped up my computer, and it makes no sound. I'll never go back to an HDD again! I would read the Lifehacker article and buy an SSD that fits your requirements if you think you need it.

Also, if you do buy it, make sure to set your cache on Firefox (or whatever browser you use) to 0 and enable TRIM (article on that here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enable-t ... rives.html).
Last edited by computer noob on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

SSDs are a lot more reliable, aren't subject to damage from dropping and use much less power.
The best SSDs for price/performance that I have found are the Samsung 840 EVO range.
In Windows all the trim stuff is handled automatically. In Linux you need to do is add the options "discard,noatime" to fstab.
Cinnamon is not a very efficient desktop implementation. You might want to try XFCE or Mate.
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

If the SSD supports TRIM, you probably don't need (or want) the "discard" option in the FSTAB statement as it's largely redundant and imposes a small performance penalty that's not really necessary.
Myrmidon83

Post by Myrmidon83 »

mintybits wrote: Cinnamon is not a very efficient desktop implementation. You might want to try XFCE or Mate.
I'm actually using Elementary Luna these days which I find really smooth and power efficient.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I think I might pick one up some time soon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”