replay gain

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whichonespink?
Level 2
Level 2

replay gain

Post by whichonespink? »

when i used windows i used mp3 gain, is there a recommended one that is similar for linux users?
i did search and found a python replay gain package, however i'm unsure if this is the thing i should be downloading or not? i don't know if i already have python?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: replay gain

Post by kurotsugi »

linux mp3 player such as audacious have this feature built in. simply enable it to use it.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Yes, it's a command called...mp3gain...in a package called...mp3gain. It will add tags, or losslessly adjust the frames so that tags are irrelevant.
  • Description: Lossless mp3 normalizer with statistical analysis. MP3Gain analyzes and adjusts mp3 files so that they have the same volume. MP3Gain does not just do peak normalization, as many normalizers do. Instead, it does some statistical analysis (using the replaygain algorithm) to determine how loud the file actually sounds to the human ear. MP3Gain can adjust the volume in a completely lossless way by modifying the mp3 file directly, without decoding and re-encoding. This works with all mp3 players, i.e. no support for a special tag is required. MP3Gain can also add replaygain compatible (APE) or ID3v2 gain tags to mp3 files.
    Homepage: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mp3gain

mp3gain -r -c *.mp3
BONUS: There is another package libid3-tools that gives you commands to read, write, render or strip ID3 tags.
whichonespink?
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whichonespink? »

many thanks for the info.
i've installed mp3gain, however being crap with computers i have no idea where it is!
i wish that when something is installed an icon would pop up on the desktop screen.
is there a place where people can go to on the pc that shows everything that they've installed?

also why is it that nothing is in my rubbish bin? nothing ever goes in it. where does it go?
thanks.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

mp3gain is probably in /usr/bin, where most user programs go. But /usr/bin should be "in your path" so simply typing the appropriate commands in the terminal will run it. (mp3gain isn't a GUI application.) Open the terminal, navigate (use cd to change directories) to wherever your mp3 files are stored, then enter in the command Mute Ant gave you.

mp3gain -r -c *.mp3
If you want to learn about all the options mp3gain has, in the terminal type:

man mp3gain
If you prefer to use a GUI (I usually do), you should install easymp3gain-gtk. Many Linux programs are command line/terminal programs with an optional GUI. If you also install easymp3gain-gtk, it should appear in the programs menu under Sound and Video.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If you delete files using the file manager, the right click should give you the option to either delete the file, or move it to trash. If you use the delete option or remove a file using the command line, it's gone.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Chabula

Post by Chabula »

Try to find and install mp3 gain.
Can install easymp3gain, but that is not working if mp3 gain is not installed.
Could not find it with synaptic and on the net i come no further then the windows versions

Please advice
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Yup. Debian didn't have anyone to maintain the mp3gain source...
https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/mp3gain
...so it didn't appear in Jessie [stable] only the last-ever version in Wheezy [oldstable]. So, Ubuntu didn't compile a package for Xenial, so Mint can't fetch it for you. The last-ever Ubuntu package is still online, you have to fetch it manually and install it manually. Download the 'released' version for your CPU and Open it with the File Manager...
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+package/mp3gain

Return to “Beginner Questions”