Change Application Icons

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Change Application Icons

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Firstly I'm not sure whether to post this here or the Cinnamon forum so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

Specs: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon

What I'm trying to do basically is change certain application icons.

I have removed LibreOffice from my computer and replaced it with WPS office suite (or Kingsoft as it was known). They changed their icons a few versions ago but I like the old icons rather than the new ones.

I have changed the icons in the menu as per the screenshot below:

As you can see from the below image it doesn't change the icons of the applications once they're launched. I have changed the icons in /usr/share/applications and renamed the original ones to xxx(old) but that didn't work and for some reason it created an extra menu entry :shock:

I don't want to change the whole theme but just these 3 specific icons, can someone show me where the icons are located please?
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Change Application Icons

Post by nerdtron »

Different icons sizes are actually different files. Have you also changed the small icons too? Probably the 22x22 icons sizes?

Also there is /usr/share/icons in which icons are stored. Have a looked in there on which icon set is currently active and then change the appropriate icons.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

nerdtron wrote:Different icons sizes are actually different files. Have you also changed the small icons too? Probably the 22x22 icons sizes?

Also there is /usr/share/icons in which icons are stored. Have a looked in there on which icon set is currently active and then change the appropriate icons.
Thanks for the reply.

To change the menu icons I changed the icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256 and it worked perfectly.

I didn't realise they were in more than one place.

I have now changed the icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps - didn't work.

I have now changed the icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256 - didn't work.

All the other sizes didn't have any icons for this application.

I've also looked in /usr/share/icons/Mint-X and can't find any icons for this application is any sizes.

I'm using the default theme, is Mint-X the correct one? In themes it's called Linux Mint but there's no folder called Linux Mint in /usr/share/icons/.

Changed the icons in /usr/share/applications but that didn't work and created a new entry in the menu.

Anywhere else to check? :D
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron »

Well not sure for any more folders. But perhaps do you have a ~/.themes folder in your home folder you might want to check.
I'm using xfce and I don't change individual icons.

BTW: once you changed the icons, you may need to reload you theme/icon set since it won't reflect immediately. maybe log-off and log-in again can reflect the changes.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Re: Change Application Icons

Post by gibbs1984 »

nerdtron wrote:Well not sure for any more folders. But perhaps do you have a ~/.themes folder in your home folder you might want to check.
I'm using xfce and I don't change individual icons.

BTW: once you changed the icons, you may need to reload you theme/icon set since it won't reflect immediately. maybe log-off and log-in again can reflect the changes.
I do have a .themes folder but I'm not using any of the themes that are in there.

Yeah I have Ctrl + Alt + Backspace whenever I made a change. Will try again though.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Anybody have any more ideas?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Am I destined to just have these ugly icons? :( :wink:
I Know Nothing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by I Know Nothing »

If WPS/Kingsoft is the same as Libreoffice then I think the icons you mean are controlled by whatever icon theme you use for its toolbars and menus and set from the view options within the application itself rather than the global icon theme for Mint. Can you change the icon theme to the one you want in there? As to where those individual icons are stored I'm not sure yet.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I Know Nothing wrote:If WPS/Kingsoft is the same as Libreoffice then I think the icons you mean are controlled by whatever icon theme you use for its toolbars and menus and set from the view options within the application itself rather than the global icon theme for Mint. Can you change the icon theme to the one you want in there? As to where those individual icons are stored I'm not sure yet.
Hmm not entirely sure, they use their own theme rather than the default Cinnamon theme with regards to toolbars etc, maybe the icons are hardcoded into the application as I can't see any options in the application itself.

I'll try over at the WPS forums and see if I can get an answer on their dead forums otherwise I'll just have to put up with it, it's not a major problem but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things like this :D
jimiwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimiwilliams »

I also like messing with icons, this is how i do it.
access filesystem/usr/share/icons/hicolour (you will need root access when you open hi colour)

once your in you will see lots of folders with numbers 2x2 all the way to 1024x1024
in each folder there is an apps folder.
wherever your application icon is present replace it with your icon. (make sure to name your custom icon, the same as the original icon.
do this in all the folders where the unwanted icon is present.
once that is done go into themes and change the icon theme to hicolour, once you have done that, change the icon theme back to what it was before.
Thats how i did it.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

This thread is years old, and should have been left in peace. Locking it now; please do not revive old threads, as per the forum rules. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”