Is there a way to flash bios from mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is there a way to flash bios from mint

Post by rajumukherjee »

Mark Phelps wrote:
Anyway the f2 keys worked fine no hiccups on Windows 7/8/8.1 and everything started to get rough on mint.
Was this before the BIOS upgrade? If so, then you did not need to do the BIOS upgrade -- which you now seem unable to rollback from.
By the way my touch pad may be faulty but keyboard no way.
If the keyboard works OK in Windows, but not in Mint, then it's likely keyboard drivers, and flashing the BIOS will not help those.

And, it IS possible for keyboards to fail, especially on laptops, since they are flimsy to begin with and have to take a lot of abuse. I've replaced several keyboards on laptops over the years -- with the touchpads still working fine.

And ... I agree with Dr. Hu -- never use an OS-based utility to do BIOS flashing. I've flashed numerous BIOS updates across a variety of machines over the years and in ALL cases, I used routines that were built into the motherboard or booted from diskette, CD, or USB.

You need to check with the website for your PC brand to see if there are BIOS flashing utilities that can be burned to CD, or written to USB. If not, you are likely to have to resort to paying a professional service to reflash your BIOS.
Dear mark the lenevo stopped manufacturing g580 and bios files are all in exe format as for bootable is for cd they do have them for other model's only let me know if you find any with current model g580 from lenevo thanks anyway
rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rajumukherjee »

rajumukherjee wrote:
Mark Phelps wrote:
Anyway the f2 keys worked fine no hiccups on Windows 7/8/8.1 and everything started to get rough on mint.
Was this before the BIOS upgrade? If so, then you did not need to do the BIOS upgrade -- which you now seem unable to rollback from.
By the way my touch pad may be faulty but keyboard no way.
If the keyboard works OK in Windows, but not in Mint, then it's likely keyboard drivers, and flashing the BIOS will not help those.

And, it IS possible for keyboards to fail, especially on laptops, since they are flimsy to begin with and have to take a lot of abuse. I've replaced several keyboards on laptops over the years -- with the touchpads still working fine.

And ... I agree with Dr. Hu -- never use an OS-based utility to do BIOS flashing. I've flashed numerous BIOS updates across a variety of machines over the years and in ALL cases, I used routines that were built into the motherboard or booted from diskette, CD, or USB.

You need to check with the website for your PC brand to see if there are BIOS flashing utilities that can be burned to CD, or written to USB. If not, you are likely to have to resort to paying a professional service to reflash your BIOS.
I
Dear mark the lenevo stopped manufacturing g580 and bios files are all in exe format as for bootable is for cd they do have them for other model's only let me know if you find any with current model g580 from lenevo thanks anyway
Ps. As for other methods I would like to know how you did it without a bootable cd with bios file or iso on it. Lastly what's done is done no rolling back now. As for keyboard drivers What utility you suggest for mint.
Man lunix setup is a mess I don't know how servers runs on them. May be there is lot tech wizards there to manage them. Unless Lunix become more manageable people would stick to live session for lunix.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Responses ...

To update any BIOS, you must have the flash file in some format. When I was using ASUS motherboards, they had a utility built into the BIOS that did the updating. You booted the PC using a special key sequence (to start that utility), inserted the diskette containing the new BIOS flash code, and ran the utility. It saved off the current BIOS to the diskette and updated the existing BIOS.

As to keyboard drivers, I personally have no idea where you can get drivers specific to a keyboard. I have a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and, in Windows, have lots of special functions that I can do with the keyboard, including Macros. But this is because Windows uses the Logitech SetPoint utility. There is no equivalent in Linux, so I have to do without those features in Linux.

Laptops are the worst example of specialized hardware because the OEMs have them custom built to keep down the prices. These same OEMs pay to have Windows drivers written to utilize all the features available on that specialized hardware -- which is great if you stay with Windows. But when you leave Windows behind, you leave behind the drivers as well. What you get in Linux (with the exception of restricted Video drivers) is just basic functionality. So, things like touchpads, brightness control keys, specialized (i.e., programmable) function keys, bezel keys -- these often just plain don't work in Linux.

As to servers, in most cases, those are managed by highly-experienced professionals. I know, because I was a Unix System Administrator for several years. We did everything from the command line, and the OJT (on the job training) program took a good six months before a new System Admin was skilled enough to manage the server farm on their own.

Linux distros are the "consumer" version, and doing system administration on them (i.e., installations, configuring hardware and drivers), is not typically a one-click operation.
rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rajumukherjee »

pagester wrote:From what i've seen before, if you've got a defective device (boot drive, bad cd, etc), trying to get to the bios settings can be a challenge because said defective devices will cause a time out error that cannot be recovered from on boot. This is not an O/S fault.

You may have a hardware error (as stated above) that is causing this problem. I've been through this before. I've actually got a machine that will refuse bios accssability simply because I had a mouse plugged into the ps2 port. So a USB mouse solved it.

Best of luck.
lenevo service guy say to replace the motherboard but also said what is your problem the linux is there for you
rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rajumukherjee »

Well I am still where I started thinking a way to go back without actually changing the motherboard. they did not find keyboard or the mouse faulty, so thats very funny of you people

Return to “Newbie Questions”