how to update to latest kernel 3.19.3 via command prompt

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

how to update to latest kernel 3.19.3 via command prompt

Post by rajumukherjee »

since mint rebecca is not up to date with kernel 3.19.3 how to do it manually
I am currently on last kernel option in update menu and the only issue I have is frequent networking dissconect so I have to proceed to next kernel to fix the issue, and since 19.3 is stable version and most like future distro would be build on that so there is no harm is shifting to that according to me. Now i have found some commands for my 64 bit machine but are they alright that is what i need to know and anything I should know and what is low latency kernel


$ wget -c http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... 36_all.deb \ http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... _amd64.deb \ http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... _amd64.deb
Last edited by rajumukherjee on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramaticOrange
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:48 am

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by UltramaticOrange »

There are many well written articles on compiling the Linux kernel from scratch.

So, some quick background about me: I genuinely hate it when someone questions my motivations for asking a question in a forum.
That said, I'm still going to ask: What's your motivation behind manually updating the kernel? Unless you're after a specific performance improvement or support for hardware, it's way more headache than it's worth.

So the short answer is this:
Download and extract the kernel source code
configure it
compile it
install it
make it bootable

The long answer: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11454
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by JeremyB »

Do not update to 3.17.4, use Mint Update Manager, click refresh, then View then Linux Kernels. Maximize the next window and install a 3.13.0-39 or -40 kernel, I would try each and see if -40 seems stable

I say this because Ubuntu applies patches from kernels newer than 3.17.4 to the 14.04 kernel to update it with security fixes and even hardware fixes

rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by rajumukherjee »

UltramaticOrange wrote:There are many well written articles on compiling the Linux kernel from scratch.

So, some quick background about me: I genuinely hate it when someone questions my motivations for asking a question in a forum.
That said, I'm still going to ask: What's your motivation behind manually updating the kernel? Unless you're after a specific performance improvement or support for hardware, it's way more headache than it's worth.

So the short answer is this:
Download and extract the kernel source code
configure it
compile it
install it
make it bootable

The long answer: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
Sorry to bother you I want help in software development without knowing way how can i

rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by rajumukherjee »

JeremyB wrote:Do not update to 3.17.4, use Mint Update Manager, click refresh, then View then Linux Kernels. Maximize the next window and install a 3.13.0-39 or -40 kernel, I would try each and see if -40 seems stable

I say this because Ubuntu applies patches from kernels newer than 3.17.4 to the 14.04 kernel to update it with security fixes and even hardware fixes
Thanks but you never mentioned what command to update the kernel

User avatar
Reorx
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3941
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: SE Florida, USA

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by Reorx »

rajumukherjee wrote:Thanks but you never mentioned what command to update the kernel
That's because Update Manager is a GUI tool and not a command line tool...
UMK.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by rajumukherjee »

My system is fully updated but I just want to update to latest kernel and software manager etc only update to the one and in repository that is already updated

ace_N_kelly
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 am

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by ace_N_kelly »

Ok Ok Ok
First , If you do this , I don't take any responsability for any problems you might encounter and the linux community warned you to not do it...
But you have the right to do whatever you want with your computer...

If you don't want to consider what others said and really want to update your kernel manually ,
Go to that page : http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ , at the end of page , you'll find "v3.17.4-vivid/"
On that page , take a look at "CHANGES" , it says what are the changes for this version of the kernel !!
Enter it and download the 3 _deb for your system (generics and the "all_deb") Ex: (both _amd64.deb + _all.deb) or (both _i386.deb + all_deb)...

If your sure you really want to ignore what others said and really wanna try this kernel , install it in that order :
1-linux-headers-3.17.4-031704_3.17.4-031704.201411211317_all.deb
2-linux-headers-3.17.4-031704-generic_3.17.4-031704.201411211317_amd64.deb (if you have a 64bits)
3-linux-image-3.17.4-031704-generic_3.17.4-031704.201411211317_amd64.deb (if you have a 64bits)

Before restarting your system , don't forget to do that command line on terminal : "sudo update-grub" (without quotes)
If your forget it , like I do it my first time , your system won't boot and you'll need to reinstall grub :twisted:
(Boot-repair-disk is a good solution in that case)

So , good luck with your new kernel :wink:
---------------------------------------
Image

rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by rajumukherjee »

ace_N_kelly wrote:Ok Ok Ok
First , If you do this , I don't take any responsability for any problems you might encounter and the linux community warned you to not do it...
But you have the right to do whatever you want with your computer...

If you don't want to consider what others said and really want to update your kernel manually ,
Go to that page : http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ , at the end of page , you'll find "v3.17.4-vivid/"
On that page , take a look at "CHANGES" , it says what are the changes for this version of the kernel !!
Enter it and download the 3 _deb for your system (generics and the "all_deb") Ex: (both _amd64.deb + _all.deb) or (both _i386.deb + all_deb)...

If your sure you really want to ignore what others said and really wanna try this kernel , install it in that order :
1-linux-headers-3.17.4-031704_3.17.4-031704.201411211317_all.deb
2-linux-headers-3.17.4-031704-generic_3.17.4-031704.201411211317_amd64.deb (if you have a 64bits)
3-linux-image-3.17.4-031704-generic_3.17.4-031704.201411211317_amd64.deb (if you have a 64bits)

Before restarting your system , don't forget to do that command line on terminal : "sudo update-grub" (without quotes)
If your forget it , like I do it my first time , your system won't boot and you'll need to reinstall grub :twisted:
(Boot-repair-disk is a good solution in that case)

So , good luck with your new kernel :wink:
Thanks but may I ask which version did you updated and your result and conclusion

ace_N_kelly
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 am

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by ace_N_kelly »

rajumukherjee wrote:Thanks but may I ask which version did you updated and your result and conclusion
I run LM17 CInnamon x64 with the 3.14.25-031425-generic kernel (updated just for fun...to test the approach)

All work fine with this one ... Don't really need to change to 3.15 /3.16 / 3.17 but , if I need it , i'll surely try it !!
or just to test if it work fine on my computer :lol:
---------------------------------------
Image

rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by rajumukherjee »

ace_N_kelly wrote:
rajumukherjee wrote:Thanks but may I ask which version did you updated and your result and conclusion
I run LM17 CInnamon x64 with the 3.14.25-031425-generic kernel (updated just for fun...to test the approach)

All work fine with this one ... Don't really need to change to 3.15 /3.16 / 3.17 but , if I need it , i'll surely try it !!
or just to test if it work fine on my computer :lol:
I guess there is no going back if things go wrong.

ace_N_kelly
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 am

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by ace_N_kelly »

rajumukherjee wrote:I guess there is no going back if things go wrong.
After having all the possible problems on linux :lol: , :idea: I always keep a fresh backup (Redo backup) near me
before attempting somethings on my main system
...Just in case.

As I said , If you really want to do it , even if everyone told you to not do it , "and this is your main subject"
You can try the 3.14 , then the 3.15 and you can keep going on until you reach the 3.17.4...

At worst , it won't work ... Just put your full backup in place and enjoy the older one :wink:
---------------------------------------
Image

User avatar
EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 am

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by EmpireITtech »

Unless you need the changes that have come out in the newer kernels (listed here https://www.kernel.org/) then there's really no reason to upgrade your kernel. However, you you like to/want to/like to test then you can follow the other posts above. Remember to always save off your documents in case things go tits-up and you need to reinstall. Also, it is possible to have multiple kernels installed on your system and you can actually switch between them and then reboot :mrgreen:
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11454
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by JeremyB »

rajumukherjee wrote:
ace_N_kelly wrote:
rajumukherjee wrote:Thanks but may I ask which version did you updated and your result and conclusion
I run LM17 CInnamon x64 with the 3.14.25-031425-generic kernel (updated just for fun...to test the approach)

All work fine with this one ... Don't really need to change to 3.15 /3.16 / 3.17 but , if I need it , i'll surely try it !!
or just to test if it work fine on my computer :lol:
I guess there is no going back if things go wrong.
Yes you can go back, you just need to press a shift key during boot to get the grub menu to show up, select previous linux versions, then choose an older kernel to boot. You can remove a kernel in Mint update manager, click View then linux kernels and click uninstall under the kernel version you don't want but don't uninstall all- I don't know if the update manager will prevent it

rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by rajumukherjee »

Reorx wrote:
rajumukherjee wrote:Thanks but you never mentioned what command to update the kernel
That's because Update Manager is a GUI tool and not a command line tool...
UMK.png
Since mint is based on ubantu and debian I think the best bet is upgrading to the stable version of kernels that debian use what do you say about that.

User avatar
Reorx
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3941
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: SE Florida, USA

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by Reorx »

rajumukherjee wrote:
Reorx wrote:
rajumukherjee wrote:Thanks but you never mentioned what command to update the kernel
That's because Update Manager is a GUI tool and not a command line tool...
UMK.png
Since mint is based on ubantu and debian I think the best bet is upgrading to the stable version of kernels that debian use what do you say about that.
I say - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."... If you are not trying to fix a specific problem, I see no reason (benefit) to updating the kernel... just my 2 cents, YMMV.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 14573
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by Pjotr »

Reorx wrote:I say - "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."... If you are not trying to fix a specific problem, I see no reason (benefit) to updating the kernel.
I very much agree with that. Mint 17.x has primarily been built around the 3.13.x and the 3.16.x kernels. You can't simply install a newer kernel in place; the rest of Mint 17.x, the "nuts, bolts and plumbing" of it, might just not fit at all.

The hardware is of course the most important component for success or failure of a kernel transplant. But there are other considerations as well: there might be configuration files in Mint 17.x that have been designed for certain features of its normal kernels, which won't work at all, or won't work properly, on later kernels. I don't know if that's the case, but it's well conceivable.

All in all: if you want a reliable system, you should only consider a kernel transplant if there's a compelling reason for it. Otherwise only do it on a test PC, just for fun, for instance in order to learn how to compile....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am
Location: varanasi, india

Re: how to update to latest kernel 3.17.4

Post by rajumukherjee »

I am on the last option on the kernel list which solved most of my problem except frequent disconnection so I also heard they have good improvement on 3.18 so whats wrong checking it

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”