Amazon Instant Video won't work in Linux Mint 17 - RESOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jgradyc
Level 1
Level 1

Amazon Instant Video won't work in Linux Mint 17 - RESOLVED

Post by jgradyc »

I have two laptops (Lenovo E430 and HP Pavilion 17-e016dx). Both have Linux Mint 17 (not 17.1). Neither will run Amazon Prime Instant Videos. I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and Chromium. I've tried changing the Amazon Instant Video player to Flash from Silverlight. I tried installing a plugin of some kind... can't remember... pipeline?... anyway, I'm fed up. I'd rather switch to another OS than continue fooling with this problem.

Will Mint 17.1 Rebecca solve this issue? If not, please recommend one of the following:

a. A fix for this issue
b. A release of Linux Mint or Ubuntu (or another Linux OS) that will run Amazon Instant Video.
Last edited by jgradyc on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Amazon Instant Video won't work in Linux Mint 17

Post by Adelante »

See Irishwoody's instructions:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 66#p866278

Go step by step. It worked for me on 17 and 17.1.

I do use Google Chrome for Netflix and Hulu Plus, but Amazon streaming video works better for me on Firefox.

Good luck.
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce
jgradyc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Amazon Instant Video won't work in Linux Mint 17

Post by jgradyc »

This solution worked in Firefox after I switched the player default in Amazon under Instant Video Settings to play in Silverlight instead of Flash. For others reading this thread, the default is Silverlight, so you shouldn't have to change it unless you had previously changed it to Flash. I have not tried it in netflix or Chrome or Chromium.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Amazon Instant Video won't work in Linux Mint 17 RESOLVE

Post by frank392 »

Just do this and you will get AMAZON PRIME working like a charm :)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hal
matt175
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Amazon Instant Video won't work in Linux Mint 17 RESOLVE

Post by matt175 »

:D thanks your commands worked like a charm. I can now stream Amazon videos on mint 17.1

Return to “Newbie Questions”