Question before first Mint upgrade

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
WJacques
Level 2
Level 2

Question before first Mint upgrade

Post by WJacques »

Hello,

I just saw that Mint 17.1 ​was released ​​and I would like to upgrade fro​m​ Mint 17​. This will be my first upgrade since I installed Mint (or any Linux OS) a bit more than 2 months ago.​

Which is the best way to upgrade? ​Backup of files and ​softwares using a backup tool like Luckybackup ​+ fresh install from Live DVD apps ​+ restore of date and software ​or an ​automatic ​upgrade by using the update manager ​when when this is ready sometime next week​?

​In a website I have read that the ​automatic ​upgrade via Update Manager was unreliable and there could be some packages conflict but the fresh install was safe, fast and reliable.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Question before first Mint upgrade

Post by jimallyn »

Probably the best way to upgrade to 17.1 is to wait a couple more days until they have ready the upgrade application.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nomko »

jimallyn wrote:Probably the best way to upgrade to 17.1 is to wait a couple more days until they have ready the upgrade application.
Although i agree with this, still the question remains: how long must someone wait? Updates comes and go on daily bases. What is updated today is outdated tomorrow. And beside that, installing Mint 17.1 today will still receive tomorrow's update. With a LTS version like Mint 17 (v1 & v2) you get support (and with that updates) till april 2019.

@ Wjacques:
Install Mint 17.1 and make sure you install every update receiving through the Update Manager. Your system will be kept up-to-date till April 2019 ;)

nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron »

17.1 upgrade is not a distro upgrade like the previous version on Mint.
For example, Mint 16 is based from Ubuntu 13.10 and Mint 17 is based from Ubuntu 14.04.

Mint 17 is an LTS release like Ubuntu in which Canonical releases point upgrades. In Ubuntu it will be version 14.04.1 (or something like that). These upgrades are delivered via Update Manager.

Mint 17 to 17.1 upgrade is still being worked out and will be available on the Update Manager. I'm sure the developers would like to make it an easy and safe upgrade for Mint 17 users.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"

pagester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pagester »

Cool website you got there nomko. Applying changes to my system right now because of your advice.
Thanks!
I'm just an older than dirt linux server adminstrator. Mint - is the best user friendly windows like linux distro ever.
I love user friendly.

WJacques
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WJacques »

Thank you all for the useful explanations

nomko, thank you very much for the link to your website

nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nomko »

Thanks guys! still working on it so it's still under progress. With the new version of Mint i'll try to add more tips/tricks/hints in the future.

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

But truthfully since you're already on LM17, like jimallyn said, it's probably best/easiest for you to just wait until they have the simple "button-press" upgrade complete. It should be very soon and would require nothing from you other than selecting it. That's the beauty of Mint's new release plan. Unlike like Ubuntu which moved from 14.04 to 14.10, LM17.1 will still be based off the LTS version LM17. This is probably one of Mint's biggest changes in years I would say, but I've been using it since LM13 :D
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

Return to “Newbie Questions”