Why does Nemo always have Size column wider than necessary?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

Why does Nemo always have Size column wider than necessary?

Post by VanessaTL »

I use Nemo 2.2.4 File manager. The size column is always wide. The name column is always narrow.

Why does Nemo always have a wide Size column, wider than it needs to be? There doesn't seem to be any reason for Nemo's choice of widths. How can I have size column wide enough for just a few characters (e.g. "500 bytes")? How can I get the Name column to be wider?
Attachments
Nemo_file_manager_columns.jpg

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why does Nemo always have Size column wider than necessa

Post by VanessaTL »

I've updated to Mint 17.1 and the problem persists. Column widths still aren't optimal.

Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

VanessaTL wrote:I've updated to Mint 17.1 and the problem persists. Column widths still aren't optimal.
Mint Cinnamon 17.2 Nemo 2.6.7 and this problem persists.

MagicMint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MagicMint »

VanessaTL wrote:I use Nemo 2.2.4 File manager. The size column is always wide. The name column is always narrow.
The algorithm chosen to compute the default widths of the columns seems to work the better the smaller the window is (try out for yourself), so I think it had been optimized for vertically, i.e. left and right snapped windows. However, for “classic” windows which are wider than high, the result is weird, if not downright ugly.

Maybe you should suggest this as an issue to the developers on https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues :?

stevedonato
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo does not show size, type or date says "Unknown"

Post by stevedonato »

when you click on 'Computer desktop icon ' in Linux Mint 17-17.2 cinnamon Nemo, all the hard drives & flash drives show "Unknown" under the columns Size, Type, detailed type, last modified?

Size Type detailed type last modified
computer:///HL-DT-ST%20DVD+%5C-RW%20GS30N.drive Unknown unknown unknown unknown
computer:///Samsung%20SSD%20850%20EVO%2500GB.drive Unknown unknown unknown unknown '
computer:///SS32G.drive Unknown unknown unknown unknown
computer:///WDC%20WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0.drive Unknown unknown unknown unknown
computer:///WD%20My%20Passport%200740.drive Unknown unknown unknown unknown
computer:///WD%20My%20Passport%200740-1.drive Unknown unknown unknown unknown
Sailor in Florida

MagicMint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nemo does not show size, type or date says "Unknown"

Post by MagicMint »

stevedonato wrote:when you click on 'Computer desktop icon ' in Linux Mint 17-17.2 cinnamon Nemo, all the hard drives & flash drives show "Unknown" under the columns Size, Type, detailed type, last modified?
Sure, for these devices have no “size”, “type”, nor is any data available about them until they’re “mounted”, i.e. clicked on :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”