[Solved] Best way to recover data if system won't start?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
inersha
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Best way to recover data if system won't start?

Post by inersha » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi there,

Background:

I attempted to install the game "slingshot" through the package manager. However, the installation froze about half way through. I think it got stuck at installing some python dependencies, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I used xkill to force the package manager to quit. Probably not the greatest of ideas.

The desktop evironment continued to function normally after this, although I did notice an error at the top when launching a terminal window. It was along the lines of /usr/bin/mint-fortune not being found.

Shortly after I restarted my computer, and this is when the problem started.

The problem:

When I boot my computer, I see an Ubuntu 14.04 (yep, not Linux Mint) loading screen with the following messages:

"The disk drive for /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 is not ready or not yet present."

"Continue to wait, or Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery"

Pressing S or M doesn't do anything, and I'm stuck at this error/loading screen.

Question:

1. Is there a way to fix this?
2. If not, is there an easy way to recover my data so I can do a fresh install?
Last edited by inersha on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: What is the best way to recover data if system won't sta

Post by WharfRat » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Your data can be recovered, but since your home is encrypted you will have to run

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ecryptfs-recover-private
from the live media with the partition mounted which will mount your /home to /temp.

If your whole installation is encrypted then it's a little more involved.

What you can try first is a chroot and see if purging the slingshot package fixes things.

I'm surprised that a repo package broke things :?
ImageImage

inersha
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What is the best way to recover data if system won't sta

Post by inersha » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:20 am

WharfRat wrote:Your data can be recovered, but since your home is encrypted you will have to run

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ecryptfs-recover-private
from the live media with the partition mounted which will mount your /home to /temp.
Okay thanks, this worked a treat. For anyone else reading and is a noob like me:

1. Put a Linux Mint ISO file on a USB using unetbootin
2. Boot the computer from this USB (press F12 or whatever when the computer is starting up)
3. Open a terminal
4. su
5. ecryptfs-recover-private
6. Copy all the files you want from their location in the /tmp folder (the terminal will tell you which folder)

Note: I didn't know what the password was for step 4, so I used the command passwd root to set a new password first.
WharfRat wrote:I'm surprised that a repo package broke things :?
Yes me too, although it could well have been something else. This was the only significant action I remember taking before things started to go wrong.

Return to “Newbie Questions”