Newbie needs help with tar.gz files....

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gimme4

Newbie needs help with tar.gz files....

Post by gimme4 »

Hiya all, well ive bitten the bullet and moved over to linux ( mint 5 Elyssa ), i have to say im loving it ive not been able to crash it yet ( unusual for me ), my problem is that i have downloaded Gnome-pim 1.4.9 tar.gz, i am able to unpack it to a folder i created on my desktop using the Archive manager, i have also read the instructions and browsed thru this forum but have managed to completely confuse myself. I need step by step, idiot proof instruction on how to install it from there. Many thanks in advance......
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Newbie needs help with tar.gz files....

Post by Fred »

gimme4,

This doesn't really answer your question, but my advice would be to use the version that is in the repos instead of trying to do this manually. Look in synaptic and install from there.

You are most likely about to break your install.

Fred
gimme4

Post by gimme4 »

Thanks for the quick reply Fred, as i said i am a newbie so i have another question related to your answer, the only pims' ive seen in the reposotories are for kde, can i still use them in Gnome or am i being really stupid ??????..And if i can could you reccomend one.. Many thanks, Gimme4
Fred

Post by Fred »

gimme4,

Yes, if it is in the repo you can use it. It may bring in a number of other files making for a larger than expected install but you should have no problem other than that.

I can't really give you good advice as to what program to use however. I don't use a PIM very often so don't have a good feel for the better ones. I am sure that someone else will chime in and make some recommendations that will help you however.

Welcome to Mint. :-)

Fred
gimme4

Post by gimme4 »

Once again thank you very much Fred, fyi, im using korganizer and it seems ok. ha ha good bye Windows lol..
gimme4

Post by gimme4 »

I would still very much appreciate it if someone could give me idiot proof, step-by-step instructions on installing from a tar.gz file please.... :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”