[Solved] Installed 17.1 on multiple drives - not booting

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dooswyn
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Installed 17.1 on multiple drives - not booting

Post by dooswyn »

Hi there

I know there is an excessive amount of boot related question, but I a completely stuck.

I have an ASUS S550C with two drives, 750 GB HDD (/dev/sda) and 24 GB SSD (/dev/sdb). My plan is to set up the SSD (/dev/sdb) to be the boot/system drive, and the HDD (/dev/sda) my user space. (Please let me know if this is even a valid option)

I initially used GParted to make GPT partition tables on both drives according to this tutorial: http://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-mint-17/
After I installed mint, none of the drives were picked up by the BIOS as bootable drives. I then read up on some UEFI issues and created msdos (which if I undestand correctly, is MBR) partition table. I created the following partitions:

Code: Select all

partition     file sys         flags        mount point    size
    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    /dev/sdb1     etx4             boot         /boot          300 MiB
    /dev/sdb2     linux-swap                                   1.95 GiB
    /dev/sdb3     etx4                          /              20.1 GiB

/dev/sda1     etx4                          /home          698.54 GiB
I continued to install Linux Mint 17.1 (using USB), selected "Something else" at "Installation Type", set the mount points as above and installed. The installer completed, and I noted seeing the line `installing grub /dev/sdb1` just before the installer finished. I restarted and both drives where present in the BIOS as bootable drives. I made the SSD (/dev/sdb) the primary boot drive.

When booting there is a blank screen with a blinking cursor ("_") <--- not an emoticon lol!
When I press left shift during boot my screen gets flooded with the word "GRUB GRUB GRUB....." so it seems grub is installed but simply not working correctly.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated!

Note: I did read the User Manual for version 17.1, however there was not much detailed info on creating partitions.
Last edited by dooswyn on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installed 17.1 on multiple drives - not booting

Post by kukamuumuka »

Download and run Boot Repair liveCD and see what it can do.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

dooswyn wrote: I initially used GParted to make GPT partition tables on both drives according to this tutorial: http://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-mint-17/
After I installed mint, none of the drives were picked up by the BIOS as bootable drives. I then read up on some UEFI issues and created msdos (which if I undestand correctly, is MBR) partition table.
I continued to install Linux Mint 17.1 (using USB), selected "Something else" at "Installation Type", set the mount points as above and installed. The installer completed, and I noted seeing the line `installing grub /dev/sdb1` just before the installer finished. I restarted and both drives where present in the BIOS as bootable drives. I made the SSD (/dev/sdb) the primary boot drive.
You probably did the right thing in switching back to msdos partitioning. As the tutorial you used says in the last paragraph - "if you plan on using disks smaller than 2GB in size you should stick to MBR partition layout."
It is certainly possible to install Mint in UEFI mode (for many, but not all computers). But it is more complicated.
When you install in Legacy mode to a msdos partitioned drive, you no longer need the boot partition, generally.
Your mistake was installing grub to the partition, /dev/sdb1
You should install it to the MBR, /dev/sdb
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Tim-int
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tim-int »

@dooswyn : Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

@administrollaattori: Could Boot Repair be added in the original Mint installation (like Skype or Opera)? How can we request it?

dooswyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dooswyn »

Hi there, thanks for the feedback, I eventually fixed it by installing grub on /dev/sda and not /dev/sdb and was able to boot successfully.

Return to “Newbie Questions”