<SOLVED>Remove/Delay inactivity shutdown

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
woodworm
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Remove/Delay inactivity shutdown

Post by woodworm » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:31 am

I am using LM 17.1 Mate dualbooted on my XP machine. So far I am very happy but as the sole user of this setup I would like to simplify both the startup delay and the constant re-entry required to unlock the monitor.

Can the need for a password be avoided on startup.

Can the period of inactivity be lenghthened to avoid the need for a password.

I really would prefer to make the mods without reinstalling ! :lol:
Last edited by woodworm on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

patrice4419
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Remove/Delay inactivity shutdown

Post by patrice4419 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:37 pm

Have a look at Menu-Preferences-Screensaver and set the delays and also Power Management. As far as not having to put your password in on start and after 'sleep' mode etc, remember it is a valuable security measure. I know it can be a bit of a finger exercise. Get familiar with the Menu, it will save a lot of time. Basically my advice is - do not remove the password entry. If you are concerned about security - have a look also at UFW (firewall). Type 'man ufw' in Terminal to see the format. Coming from Windows XP (or 7) bear in mind Mint 17.1 is not Windows. You will be able to run most Windows programs by downloading 'Wine' (use the Software Manager).
(Penguin PocketWee running Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, Intel Dual Core i5-4250U 1.3Ghz (2.6 Turbo), 8Gb DDR3, mSATA SSD 250Gb, wireless dual band.
The router (D-Link DS3580L) with USB slot.

woodworm
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Remove/Delay inactivity shutdown

Post by woodworm » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:54 am

<SOLVED> Remove/Delay inactivity shutdown
Thank you

Return to “Newbie Questions”