Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by antiquexray » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:27 am

I have a fresh install of both Windows-7 and Linux Mint 17.1 that I am dual booting. I have come across a unique problem with respect to Adobe Flash Player and Chrome (not Chromium), at least it's unique to me. I have absolutely no problem playing flash video, but the daily puzzle Cyptogram, found in the comics + games of the Minneapolis Tribune, is a different story. When I try to launch the puzzle see "Get Adobe Flash Player" box. Nothing I have tried has worked. Firefox handles this just fine, but I'd prefer Chrome. Can anyone help...please?

PS Happy New Year

JoeBingo
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by JoeBingo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:50 am

You didn't say if the problem was in Windows, Linux Mint or both. I'm assumming it's just Linux Mint?

I haven't used Chrome in a year or so but I remember dealing with some flash problems now and again. If I remember correctly, in Chrome, Google's native implementation of Flash is called Pepper. Go to about:plugins in the chrome omnibar. Then, on the right side click Details and disable the flash plugin PPAPI and use the Mozilla plugin.

If both the PPAPI and Mozilla plugin are enabled, Chrome will choose to always try and use PPAPI (Pepper). By disabling PPAPI, you force Chrome to use the Mozilla plugin and that might be worth a try.

If that doesn't help, I hope others will chime in, because thats about all I can think of ... maybe other than contacting the publisher of the game to see if others have had issues while using Chrome/Linux and reported it by chance.

Does it work with Chrome in Windows?

antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by antiquexray » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:45 am

Yes, you are correct, it is Mint that I am having the problem. I does work in Windows. Having said that, you may be on to something. I did as you said and disable via about:plugins. However, having done that the puzzle icon is no longer visible on the webpage. Enable it and it reappears but with the same problem. I don't know how to force it to Mozilla's flash player. There is a tutorial for downloading, enabling, flash in the Mint blogs, but I haven't tried that and afraid something else will go wrong. Trying to fix a previous problem is what prompted me to totally reload Windows and Mint in the 1st place.

Anyone else have an idea?

NoStart
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:47 am

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by NoStart » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:00 pm

antiquexray wrote:Yes, you are correct, it is Mint that I am having the problem. I does work in Windows. Having said that, you may be on to something. I did as you said and disable via about:plugins. However, having done that the puzzle icon is no longer visible on the webpage. Enable it and it reappears but with the same problem. I don't know how to force it to Mozilla's flash player. There is a tutorial for downloading, enabling, flash in the Mint blogs, but I haven't tried that and afraid something else will go wrong. Trying to fix a previous problem is what prompted me to totally reload Windows and Mint in the 1st place.

Anyone else have an idea?
I am having a similar problem. for some reason chrome is not seeing flash - About:plugins is not showing any instance of flash, although it is installed.

User avatar
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 am
Location: UK

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by WinterTroubles » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:01 pm

antiquexray
antiquexray wrote: I don't know how to force it to Mozilla's flash player.
Unfortunately the simple answer to this is that you can't, it used to be the case that the firefox flash plugin would work in chrome, however, chrome have changed the type of plugins used and now only the official chrome flash plugin will work in chrome.

I have taken a look at the site you are having problems with and am getting the same results, unfortunately I have no explanation as to why it would work in firefox and not in chrome. It may be worth contacting the tribune (from their help page feedback@startribune.com) in case there is something about their implementation of these flash games that doesn't function in the Linux Chrome Flashplayer Plugin, as there are some differences between chrome on windows and chrome on linux.. To be honest I'm not certain that this is the case as they work with the much older Linux Firefox Flash Plugin :?
I'm no expert on these matters, so other members may yet have an explanation.



NoStart
NoStart wrote: I am having a similar problem. for some reason chrome is not seeing flash - About:plugins is not showing any instance of flash, although it is installed.
The flashplayer plugin for chrome comes packaged with chrome and no other flashplayer plugin will work with it, so when you say that it is installed exactly which flashplugin is installed? I'm not sure how you could have installed chrome without the flashplugin.. so I'm kind of at a loss to suggest a solution, with the exception of possibly reinstalling chrome if you do not have the correct flashplugin.


I'm sorry I can't offer more useful advice guys, hopefully something above will prove useful though.
WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

NoStart
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:47 am

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by NoStart » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:31 am

Installing Chrome without the plugin was quite simple, I used Software Manager.
I downloaded flash-*.tgz and installed it but to no avail

So Pepper Flash is the only option for Chrome in Mint now?
This very much makes Linux less desirable to use, as pepper flash has MANY issues with many games. Which not surprisingly, for a gamer is important.

Hecubus
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 am

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by Hecubus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:51 am

antiquexray wrote:Firefox handles this just fine, but I'd prefer Chrome.
A lot of us use a couple or few different browsers at different times because different things work better for one reason or another. The reason here is that your game doesn't like Pepperflash but you use Chrome which runs Pepperflash exclusively. I would just use Firefox for your game.
NoStart wrote:ISo Pepper Flash is the only option for Chrome in Mint now?
This very much makes Linux less desirable to use, as pepper flash has MANY issues with many games. Which not surprisingly, for a gamer is important.
It's like this for any OS running Chrome.

User avatar
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 am
Location: UK

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by WinterTroubles » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:13 am

NoStart wrote:Installing Chrome without the plugin was quite simple, I used Software Manager.
I don't have that option in my Software Manager, in fact Chrome doesn't appear at all in the Software Manager without the addition of the Google Chrome repositories (which is done as part of the installation process when installing Chrome from the google website). Chromium is available in software manager and comes without a flashplugin, so is that what you installed? If so then you need pepperflashplugin-nonfree from software manager. Chrome/Chromium now use PPAPI plugins instead of the older NPAPI plugins used in Firefox, so yes pepperflash is the only one for Chrome/Chromium, sorry.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

NoStart
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:47 am

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by NoStart » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:18 am

WinterTroubles wrote:
NoStart wrote:Installing Chrome without the plugin was quite simple, I used Software Manager.
I don't have that option in my Software Manager, in fact Chrome doesn't appear at all in the Software Manager without the addition of the Google Chrome repositories (which is done as part of the installation process when installing Chrome from the google website). Chromium is available in software manager and comes without a flashplugin, so is that what you installed? If so then you need pepperflashplugin-nonfree from software manager. Chrome/Chromium now use PPAPI plugins instead of the older NPAPI plugins used in Firefox, so yes pepperflash is the only one for Chrome/Chromium, sorry.
Not sure what it is (chrome or chromium) but it came from the software manager and is branded Google Chrome.
Regardless, if pepper is the only option for flash it is no good to me. No point using a browser that has unstable, inadequate plugins, especially one so important.
Hecubus; It's like this for any OS running Chrome.
I run Chrome exclusively on Win 7 and it uses Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_16_0_0_235, with Google\Chrome\Application\39.0.2171.95\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer, disabled.
Install flash - disable pepper - restart chrome - chrome automatically searches for, finds and uses the proper flash player.

** By "proper" I mean the one that is stable, can handle running a flash based application, without constant freezes and crashes.

Hecubus
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 am

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by Hecubus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:22 am

NoStart wrote: I run Chrome exclusively on Win 7 and it uses Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_16_0_0_235, with Google\Chrome\Application\39.0.2171.95\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer, disabled.
Install flash - disable pepper - restart chrome - chrome automatically searches for, finds and uses the proper flash player.

** By "proper" I mean the one that is stable, can handle running a flash based application, without constant freezes and crashes.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

User avatar
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 am
Location: UK

Re: Unique Flash Problem Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by WinterTroubles » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:15 pm

NoStart wrote:Not sure what it is (chrome or chromium) but it came from the software manager and is branded Google Chrome.
Regardless, if pepper is the only option for flash it is no good to me. No point using a browser that has unstable, inadequate plugins, especially one so important.
That's not my experience of flash in Chrome on Linux, 6 months ago I was experiencing flashplayer crashes from time to time, but I've not experienced any crashes with flashplayer in several months and several flashplayer updates.. Never-the-less I have no wish to try and convince you to use something you wish not to, so as the question of your missing flashplayer in Chrome is now a moot point I'll simply wish you luck in whichever browsing choice you make :)

Regards
WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”