After the Mint17.1 debacle I'm afraid to to udpate mint 17.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

After the Mint17.1 debacle I'm afraid to to udpate mint 17.

Post by sadhu »

See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p961479. Please read the whole thread. It's very enlightening, and also frightening.

Ever since this update, which destroyed my connection to the internet, I am now terrified of automatic updates. Luckily i had a dual boot system with mint 17 and 17.1; when I lost my internet connectivity in 17.1, I could still connect with 17 to write this post. But what if this pending update also contains the 17.1 bug? The only way I'll be able to connect would be to reload mint, and of course, as sooon as i did the first massive update, I'd be disconnected again.

So I'm not going to apply it --- ever --- until I get some definitive response to the above thread.

Or perhaps someone could offer some other recommendation. Arch Linux, maybe? Or vanilla Debian?
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 4.2.4, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: After the Mint17.1 debacle I'm afraid to to udpate mint

Post by Dyfi »

Spend a little time and learn how to backup/image your system so that if an update creates a problem you can easily get back to a working state.

Google Clonezilla and Redobackup.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

if you are concerned, then don't update to 17.1 .. ..
- just get the updates, that update manager gives.
if you are really concerned, then stick to just the level 1 & 2 updates.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

thanks.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik timeshift
Instructions here: http://www.teejeetech.in/2014/04/upgrad ... shift.html
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 4.2.4, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

sadhu wrote:Ever since this update, which destroyed my connection to the internet, I am now terrified of automatic updates.So I'm not going to apply it --- ever --- until I get some definitive response to the above thread.
This should solve problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p966730.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

This is why I don't intend to install 17.1 or whatever unless there's some feature or improvement I can't live without. 17 is lts. My laptop runs mint 17, replacing Kubuntu 12.04. I never updated that machine until 14.04 lts came out ... skipping 3 non lts releases ... because I wanted KDE 4.10.

I ended up putting Mint 17 Mate on instead because I like Mint's new update policy, and I dicovered I like Cinnamon better.

The issues are with the underlying ubuntu, which is why mint is basing all their releases on ubuntu 14.04 until 2016. 14.04 is an lts release but it doesn't use an lts kernel release. They're going to have to do the backports themselves. And there's the mir/wayland issue.

So I'm now an ex ubuntu mint 17 user ... this netbook has 17 Mate, and I'm not planning on updating to 17.1 on that either.

It's certainly not unheard of for something like the wireless or even video card to get borked after a release upgrade. There's generally a fix. I've found on ubuntuforums that a lot of the really serious geeks there don't upgrade to a new release the day it comes out. They'll wait a few months to get bug fixes unless there's something like a hardware support issue that an upgrade will solve.

With older AMD graphic cards some ubuntu (and hence mint) some users did a simple dist-upgrade and rebooted to a black screen. AMD's support for older gmas isn't that great and the proprietary driver no longer worked. Note this isn't a release upgrade here, just a system update. This isn't just ubuntu here either.

I'm waiting to see what happens with ubuntu/mint over the next couple of years. If I don't like it I may install debian stable.

Debian stable is very, very stable ... Ubuntu releases are based on debian testing ... but it's meant for serious, knowledgeable users. It's much harder to install, and more importantly since it's intended for advanced users you won't get much hand holding on their support forums. If you don't like that they'll just suggest you install ubuntu.

Arch is also meant for technical users and it's a rolling release. Ie. there's no lts/stable release. This does mean more bug/hardware issues are possible, and in any rolling release this happens. I don't think this is what you want.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Hoser Rob wrote:I've found on ubuntuforums that a lot of the really serious geeks there don't upgrade to a new release the day it comes out. They'll wait a few months to get bug fixes unless there's something like a hardware support issue that an upgrade will solve.
Yes, some do that way. But real geeks install new release in VirtualBox first. To see is there necessary to wait.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Newbie Questions”