How to update from Mint 15 to 17.1 [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cherry2000

How to update from Mint 15 to 17.1 [SOLVED]

Post by cherry2000 »

I did my first ever install of Linux (Mint), but installed 15, then I coldnt do any updates, so super nice people on this forum told me to get a newer version, but now I dont know how to update from 15 to 17.1:

I downloaded 17.1 MATE, burned it the proper way on the proper DVD, put it in the laptop, restarted, but it didnt go into opening the 17.1 installation guide upon restarting, I just get the Mint 15 desktop with an icon saying Linux Mint 17.1 MATE 64-bit (put there from the disc I guess), when I click it and open it I just get a whole bunch of files, but I cant seem to open the new installation from any of them.

Then if I restart with DVD inserted, and go F2 and change boot to CD/DVD nothing happens, or should I then go to save changes and close in boot menu? How do I get to installation guide?

Yes, 15 was my first installation, went very smooth, but now I am stuck in it :D

I am on a Dell Inspiron.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BlackVeils

Re: How to update from Mint 15 to 17.1

Post by BlackVeils »

if you actually went into the setup/bios to change boot order, then yes you need to save and exit, not just exit.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

With a relatively new installation of Mint 15, it may be easier to simply do a new installation with Mint 17.1 without worrying about an "upgrade".

ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17 - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=168017

Of course, first you have to get the DVD to boot properly. I assume that you installed Mint 15 from DVD, so you are familiar with the process.
There are several options available to you for booting Mint 17.1 since you have Mint 15 installed (you are not "stuck with" 15).

Install with no cd and no usb boot? SOLVED
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 89#p889397

Boot a Mint .iso From Your Hard Drive Using Grub2 - with no DVD or USB
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1849
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
cherry2000

Post by cherry2000 »

Hi,

I did all the steps from this post you mentioned:
Re: Install with no cd and no usb boot?
but I get completely stuck with this:
Now reboot, and choose the iso menuentry, and it will run just like booting the live DVD.
How do I choose the "iso menuentry" and where is it?

Is there absoultely no way to make the 17.1 just boot from DVD?
raptir

Post by raptir »

You should be able to boot from a DVD, and you might as well if you already have the DVD burnt. There are two different ways to select a boot device, either by changing the boot order in your BIOS or by doing a one-off boot. If you change it in your BIOS you do need to save the new boot order. If you make a one-off change you do not need to. I would search for your specific laptop model (not just "Dell Inspiron", but something like "Dell Inspiron 7537") + "boot from DVD" to find the correct key combination.
cherry2000

Post by cherry2000 »

Thanks all!

The BIOS thing worked, I installed it from DVD, now happy to explore my shiny new 17.1 and first Mint Linux :)
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Glad that worked out for you and welcome to the Mint community!

If this is complete, please edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject/title. Helps others know you're good to go :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”