Looking for distro that'll work on a P4

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
seawolf167
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Looking for distro that'll work on a P4

Post by seawolf167 »

I haven't run into any problems that prevent older machines from working. Generally older hardware drivers move to legacy and provided they aren't decades old are actually easier to get running. They might run a little slow, but they do run. The only problem, as you mention, might be old Broadcom wireless cards. My suggestion would be to pick a lightweight distro, perhaps Lubuntu. Run the live cd and check it out. Puppy can run entirely in RAM, which is nice if you need it.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

I have Rebecca Mate, Rebecca KDE and PCLinuxOS KDE Mini on three different 8GB partitions. They all run fine with a 1.8GHz P4 processor and 1GiB RAM, just don't expect big-video performance without graphics hardware acceleration.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Post by panorain »

Sorry to add to this conversation with yet another question. Does it matter what size of harddisk the Linux partition is mounted on? Consider an 'EIDE'/'PATA' drive with 80gigs of storage space with and old Nvidia 6600GT AGP video card. At that point consider if the machine was upgraded to a P4 2800mhz and given/installed a newer graphics card per say a cheaper NVIDIA GEFORCE210 if I have a full length pci-express slot on the board. Would that potentially be a great performance increase even though my harddisk partition is very large? 'I guess 80 gigs is large in my question'

So for my question is is it really worth upgrading the GPU or just buying a machine with a better equipped/supported intel GPU card? Which most likely has a faster CPU MHZ processor onboard.

How big of a difference does a large 80 gig partition make as far as 'read access' in read lookups than say an 8 gig partition? <--Do you consider it to be quite substantial as there is apparently no need to 'defrag' with and Linux operating system.

Thanks, for your help.

Edit: I really like the Ralink Chipsets on standard wifi pci cards. For instance any older desktop with a wireless pci slot: Ralink RT2561 is natively supported. Meaning support is already available within the Linux Kernel making wireless accesibility a snap.
Last edited by panorain on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
NetBSD 8.1 [beginner] :)
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

I've had good luck with Peppermint and LXLE on old hardware. I have a 10+ year old laptop with a single threaded P4 processor, 1GB of RAM, 20GB HD that I put LXLE on and it runs perfectly. Tough pad works, Wifi works, sound works, etc... with an out-of-the box installation - no tweaking necessary... YMMV.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Post by panorain »

Edit:

Yah, but it looks like Peppermint has some boot problem with 'cryptsetup' or am I mistaken?

Although I really would like to try 'Peppermint' its like to me if you can at least hang with Mint it's ok well everything becomes ok time to put the ax on one of these computers around here and give 'Peppermint' a try I am hearing alot of nice stuff about it.

The biggest thing that's bugging me is 'cryptsetup' 'encryption' on a newer 3.13.etc kernel sure would be nice to partition that whole 20 gig harddrive in 'Peppermint' add the 'cryptsetup' 'encryption' an be on my way (for a NOOB like me it's tough). That's the same thing that has drawn me away from 17.1 Rebecca was that encryption bug. I don't want some person just bypassing bios passwords and 'easily' finding out what I research it's a matter of privacy' Some other OS has it why can't we? Well we do with Mint 17 but some things don't work. Either way that's a big reason I haven't run over to Cinnamon before something else.

By the way I wanted to add: Other operating systems have this protection why can't we? I need to read more but that's how I feel right now. I really enjoy Debian and every day respect how much people put into it ecspecially Mint.

Sorry for edit I best be quiet.
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

I don't generally use encryption on a large scale - I don't have much "sensitive" data and partition encryption makes data recovery significantly more difficult if it is needed. I use zip encryption for my occasional needs for on disk security... YMMV.

Image Image

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi »

Have a look at antix mx 14.3.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Until quite recently I was running Mint/Cinnamon on an old P4@3.06 w/2GB or ram and GMA950 graphics. No on board WiFi but both of the wireless USB adaptors I own, Belken, worked fine out of the box.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I've got an old IBM X22 Thinkpad P3 600 with 384mb ram running Vectorlinux 7 flawlessly. It's stable and fast.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

''Does it matter what size of harddisk the Linux partition is mounted on?'' Yes. A desktop system ''short stroked'' into a small fraction of a drive is usefully faster than the same system splattered over the whole disk.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Post by panorain »

Makes sense, would you be willing to help a noober like me run a 20 gig harddisk?
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

cllvt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cllvt »

jacatone wrote:Seems the newer versions of LM or other Linux distros won't work on older P3 and P4 machines and they won't even recognize wifi on newer Core2Duos or i series CPUs. I know LM 10 will work and recognize wifi but can't be updated. Anyone know of anything newer beside Puppy Linux or DSL?
Not sure where you are getting this info, but it has not been my experience.

I am running Mint 13 Mate on a P4 with an old GeForce 5200 graphics card and that works fine. I had Mint 17 Cinnamon on it initially, but was having some sort of issue with the GeForce card and Cinnamon so moved to Mate, but the Cinnamon 17 ran fine as well except for that graphics issue. It is not a "rocket" but has 2G memory and is certainly a usable machine.

Core2Duos ... I am running Mint 17.1 on one now and it screams, no issues at all.

Not sure what your machine specs are but you can always try it live. As far as WiFi I guess it depends more on your card, but it seems folks usually get things working, and these days you can get a new wireless card for $10 if that's an obstacle.

Chris

panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Post by panorain »

I personally would prefer a 'Ralink' chipset to Intel or Broadcom <- what is that? And a Realtek = talk about a real nothing. I don't want to talk about it any more because it upsets me. I think it is a shame that the Ralink chipset has not been spoken about anymore than in whispers.

Thank you for your time,
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

cllvt wrote:
jacatone wrote:Seems the newer versions of LM or other Linux distros won't work on older P3 and P4 machines and they won't even recognize wifi on newer Core2Duos or i series CPUs. I know LM 10 will work and recognize wifi but can't be updated. Anyone know of anything newer beside Puppy Linux or DSL?
Not sure where you are getting this info, but it has not been my experience...
Yeah, same here. My wife's laptop has an i7 CPU, my daughter's laptop has an i5 CPU, my home laptop has an i3 CPU... I installed LM17C64 on all these machines and the WiFi worked out-of-the-box on all of them... :mrgreen:

Image Image

panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Post by panorain »

Now that feller looks to be green.

:oops:
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
Always =updatedb=