mouse single click - SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dan Penny

mouse single click - SOLVED

Post by Dan Penny »

I've had three strokes, so my brain isn't what it used to be. Where/how do you set the mouse to use SINGLE CLICK instead of double clicking? I go through this *every* time I set up Linux Mint (17.1). It's definitly NOT under mouse controls. I promise that once I get this answered, I'll write it down in BIG red letters and tape it to my wall.

Thank you in advance.
Dan Penny
Last edited by Dan Penny on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinterTroubles

Re: mouse single click

Post by WinterTroubles »

For Cinnamon.. setting it for the File Manager (Nemo) is in preferences, under behaviour. I assume other File Managers will have similar settings and.. assuming it is file manager behaviour you are asking about.. as your's has worked in the past the option is almost certainly there.

If I've made one assumption too many, then post back with a few more details and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Hope this helps
WT
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

It's the same in Caja (MATE)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

On Cinnamon open your menu and go to preferences->accessibility. Under the "Pointing and Clicking" tab you will find a setting for Simulated Secondary Click. That might be what you are looking for. Whatever desktop enviroment you are using, there should be some similiar setting under Accessibitliy.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

WinterTroubles wrote:...File Manager (Nemo) is in preferences, under behaviour...
Fist post nailed it! :)

Open File Manager > on menu bar Edit > Preferences > Behavior tab > click "Single click to open items"
SC.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Dan Penny

Post by Dan Penny »

I found it on my own. I "opened" Home (on the Desktop), clicked EDIT (at the top menu) only then did I see File Manager, clicked on Behaviour, then found the choice for single click. I don't understand the logic of putting this "mouse function" attribute under File Manager instead of mouse controls.

Anyway, I've noted this troubling entity and now have a note taped to my wall directly above the Laptop table.

Many thanks to all who responded. Hopefully now I can find the "key" to click to mark this topic as SOLVED.

Thanks again, Dan Penny
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: mouse single click - SOLVED

Post by JosephM »

I found it on my own. I "opened" Home (on the Desktop), clicked EDIT (at the top menu) only then did I see File Manager, clicked on Behaviour, then found the choice for single click. I don't understand the logic of putting this "mouse function" attribute under File Manager instead of mouse controls.
That setting exists there because it only affects the behavior of the file manager and the elements that it controls. Changing it won't for example change the click behavior in Open/Save dialogs or anywhere else. If you want to do that you need to change settings in Accessibility.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

JosephM wrote:
That setting exists there because it only affects the behavior of the file manager and the elements that it controls. Changing it won't for example change the click behavior in Open/Save dialogs or anywhere else. If you want to do that you need to change settings in Accessibility.
In LM 18, Cinnamon, there is no such option, which would be very useful - is there a way to set it?
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

sfrusciante wrote:
JosephM wrote:
In LM 18, Cinnamon, there is no such option, which would be very useful - is there a way to set it?
Are you referring to this (below) or something else?
SingleClick.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

No. I was referring to what JosephM said about enabling single-click-to-open even in the dialog windows (such as Save/Open, ecc...):
JosephM wrote:
I would like to do that, but:
accessibility.png
I couldn't find any such option.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Probably there was a misunderstanding between Dan Penny and JosephM. Ether wait, until JosephM comes back or send him a PM to point him to your question. I admit, I can't answer it myself.
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

Cosmo. wrote:Probably there was a misunderstanding between Dan Penny and JosephM. Ether wait, until JosephM comes back or send him a PM to point him to your question. I admit, I can't answer it myself.
My guess is that he was referring to the last option in my screenshot, which simply simulate a click when the cursor is positioned on a certain point (by the way I couldn't find an english version of the same tab, sorry) - still none of those option allows to extend the single-click-to-open to the dialogs.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I think this was a misunderstanding. The one I was talking about was the second setting in Accessibility->Mouse. That allows you to set it so holding the primary button for a certain length of time triggers a secondary click. Not sure that gets you exactly what you want though.
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sfrusciante »

JosephM wrote:I think this was a misunderstanding. The one I was talking about was the second setting in Accessibility->Mouse. That allows you to set it so holding the primary button for a certain length of time triggers a secondary click. Not sure that gets you exactly what you want though.
Ok, everything's clear now, thank you.

Only one thing left: it is possible to do what I intended?
elmar roberg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elmar roberg »

Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3:
I have [settings/accessibility/mouse/simulated secondary click] set to ON and made SHORTER as far left as possible.
What LMC does if I hold down the mouse button long enough is to change the pointer colour and then act as if the right button had been pressed - i.e. to present a context menu. That makes no sense (at least not given what the words in the dialog say.)

In KDE Neon, when I set the single click feature on, then it works everywhere (maybe I need to verify that.)

KDE Neon also has another neat feature: when you click on the icon in file manager, it does not open the item, but selects the item. In LMC, I need to hold CTL-click to [select:do not open].

Return to “Beginner Questions”