how to connect to a tv with a hdmi

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DarinB

how to connect to a tv with a hdmi

Post by DarinB »

i am running lm17
i am trying to connect my laptop to a tv using a hdmi.

I have it plugged in. I see the part of the laptop screen on the tv.
it is an an extension of my laptop screen not a duplicate of the screen.
how do i make it a duplicate of my desktop?
baldrick.777

Re: how to connect to a tv with a hdmi

Post by baldrick.777 »

You'll need to go into monitors (Control Center > Monitors) and click the check box that says "Same image in all monitors" apply and close.

You should be good to go.

Hope that helps.
DarinB

Post by DarinB »

Putting Monitors same image on both monitors didn't work. it did say mirror in the graphic but the tv screen turned blue as if the input was wrong and the background reapeared on the laptop. I checked the input on the tv and it was set to the correct hdmi plug I used for the laptop. I am using the front tv hdmi plug, which comes up as dvd on the tv input list, Maybe I should plug into the hdmi 2 in the back of the set? I tried logging off and going back in but it reverted back to the original with the background on the tv and the icons on the laptop. It is an extension of the laptop screen because I can move the mouse cursor onto the tv screen.
I am sure I am missing something simple Any ideas. BTW when ever I can't find a answer online it is because it is too simple to make a post. I hope that is the case here.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

if you have windows 7 or vista,
I have Win7 on a latop and do not have to do ANYTHING to see the TV screen when connecting with an HDMI cable.

Besides ... this is the Linux Mint forum, not a Windows forum. SO, unless the OP specifically mentions using MS Windows, their questions are about a problem in Mint.
DarinB

Post by DarinB »

I clearly posted i am running lm17!!!

linux mint 17

why am I getting posts about windows !?!?

can anyone give some help???
rayxoxo

Post by rayxoxo »

I am not sure of what you are needing to hook up to your tv -

I am running LM17.1 mate - on my 40" using a vga cable - with external speakers. The computer is using external speakers and the vga cable will only carry the video to the tv. It works great.

To connect the pc to the tv set, You only need to change the tv settings to the vga setting on the tv itself. By changing the tv setting to vga I watch the pc, and by changing back to the tv I then can watch the tv as is normal.

You using the HDMI cable should provide you with video and sound after the HDMI cable is connected to the tv from the pc.

On most remote tv receivers you must select the connection that you are using - In your case, switch from your tv to your HDMI connection - That should do it.

Here is a short video - It doesn't really matter if you are using a windows or a linux pc -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s532CgZNrMg

Hope that this has been a help.
jabberwock359
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jabberwock359 »

Hi, I'm not an expert but when I've got (say) youtube on one window on my laptop, I only see a blank linux desktop on the tv. However when I right click the window at the bottom of the laptop screen (ie the tab on the control bar) it gives me the option 'move to monitor 2'. This moves just that window to the tv. You then have to make sure that you left click the speaker icon in your system tray, you will then see HDMI display port ... select that for your sound to come out of the tv.
Just beware doing this changes the behaviour of your cursor (whether mouse or touchpad or whatever) . There is now in effect a virtual screen added on the the right side of your laptop screen. If you've successfully done the above, you should be able to drag your cursor rightwards across your laptop screen and see it re-emerge on your telly screen! disoncerting at first, but you'll get the hang of it.
good luck!
carsten888

Post by carsten888 »

I also want to connect my tv to laptop. But unfortunately the tv does not display mint (win10 displays instantly on tv, so cable and tv work). In the display settings the tv is not listed.

linux mint sarah.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

DarinB ...

I have a Dell laptop I was trying to use for a demo at a local college. I booted the laptop from a locked USB thumbdrive (LM17.2 64-bit Mate LiveMedia). We hooked up a large HDMI TV as an external monitor. I discovered that if I hooked up the TV AFTER LM17.2 was booted the TV extended the view of the laptop screen, which was a royal pain. However, I finally discovered that if I connected the TV BEFORE booting, the TV was automatically a MIRROR of the laptop screen. That was enough to do what I needed, so I didn't look any further.

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & REJOICE!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

There was some instability with external monitors of different resolutions with at least the 17.1 & 17.2 versions of Mint Cinnamon. If you had the HDMI connected to an external monitor, it had to be a detected resolution when the system started. If you tried to *change* the resolution, it tended to crash the display manager - - at least on the laptop that I was running. It wasn't a problem with VGA for some reason, IIRC?

For me, the only way around this was to do something similar to what Webtest mentioned - - plug in the cable before powering on your system. Once it was connected, that was the resolution it was set to: I could switch it back & forth between extended & mirrored screen, but the resolution was locked.

This seems to have gone away with 17.3 & Mint 18... but then again, I haven't needed to do this recently either. (Switched to using Display Port)
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

What is the resolution of your laptop?

When the screen is mirrored to a TV, the TV might not be able to handle the resolution. I found this at a friend's place where the big fancy expensive TV could not handle anything other than 1080p and 720p. The almost as big medium cost regular brand handled everything thrown at it.

Plugging the TV in first helps with some TVs. A good TV works either way.

There should be a function key on your keyboard for stepping through screen configurations. On my notebook it is Fn-F5. There are 5 ~ 7 combinations depending on how many screens I have plugged in.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

I get all manner of weird goings-on with LM18 Cinnamon unless I do everything in a specific order.
With your TV switched on and the HDMI cable plugged in, boot up. Open the Menu, select System Settings, Display. You should see two screens, your laptop and the TV. Drag the TV to the left, and click "Set As Primary". Do not tick "Mirror Displays" or both screens will be rubbish. Click the "Input" button on your TV remote and select whichever HDMI channel you are plugged into. If this all works, click "Apply".

Unplugging the HDMI cable may not return control to your laptop screen; you may need to unplug and reboot for that to happen. Sound may also not cross over to the TV. If it doesn't, open Sound Settings, and click HDMI/Display Port.

Good luck.
carsten888

Post by carsten888 »

Ceilidh2 wrote:I get all manner of weird goings-on with LM18 Cinnamon unless I do everything in a specific order.
With your TV switched on and the HDMI cable plugged in, boot up. Open the Menu, select System Settings, Display. You should see two screens, your laptop and the TV. Drag the TV to the left, and click "Set As Primary". Do not tick "Mirror Displays" or both screens will be rubbish. Click the "Input" button on your TV remote and select whichever HDMI channel you are plugged into. If this all works, click "Apply".
tried that. No matter wat I try I never see the tv in the 'displays' settings.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Make, model, etc of tv? Could be their support, or lack of support, for a specific level of HDMI.

Have you tested with other TVs? Other brands? Visit your neighbours and plug in.
carsten888

Post by carsten888 »

Petermint wrote:Make, model, etc of tv? Could be their support, or lack of support, for a specific level of HDMI.
as mentioned before, when I plugin hdmi cable from laptop with windows it all works instantly. And the tv shows as monitor in the windows display config. So tv works fine with hdmi input from laptop. Just needs mint to do the same...

Return to “Beginner Questions”