can a new installed distro affect other distros?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kalimerox
Level 1
Level 1

can a new installed distro affect other distros?

Post by kalimerox » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:37 pm

That is me with a very general question again. problem I have:

I have manjaro and linux mint mate running fine on my computer, I install crunchbang on a third partition, and the other distros refuse to boot. I can select them in the grub boot menu, but then they will start booting and crash ... I use the same swap partition for all of them, that could be the problem? Any advice is very much appreciated ! :)

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: can a new installed distro affect other distros?

Post by Mute Ant » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 pm

''can a new installed distro affect other distros?'' Yup, although a common swap partition is normal. The most recently installed GRUB will be the one in charge of the boot, unless you arrange things differently. In this case, Crunchbang's GRUB seems to be omitting something important...you do know why it's called crunch-bang don't you?
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:11 pm

kalimerox wrote:That is me with a very general question again. problem I have:

I have manjaro and linux mint mate running fine on my computer, I install crunchbang on a third partition, and the other distros refuse to boot. I can select them in the grub boot menu, but then they will start booting and crash ... I use the same swap partition for all of them, that could be the problem? Any advice is very much appreciated ! :)
chroot to the distro you booted from previously and reinstall grub :wink:
ImageImage

kalimerox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kalimerox » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks guys, I ll reinstall grub and see what it sais when i m back on the desktop in a view hours..

...you do know why it's called crunch-bang don't you?
I had no idea it was eating other distros... ;)

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 pm

kalimerox wrote:That is me with a very general question again. problem I have:

did you run update-grub after installing crunchbang?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

kalimerox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kalimerox » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:33 am

did you run update-grub after installing crunchbang?
yeah i did that, doesnt make a difference. .. I tried to chroot into manjaro, but i failed.. i m checking their forums right now ;(

kalimerox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kalimerox » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:58 am

ha problem seems to be solved. it wasnt grub, it was some error on the sda3 partition. I ran
fsck /dev/sda3
and it boots again.. :) :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”