[SOLVED] Cannot see partitions in folder tree

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Cannot see partitions in folder tree

Post by fletcher »

Just did a new system (thanks go out to gold_finger and austin.texas for helping me get it to work), and have just about everything set up. But when I open my folders, I do not see the huge partition that I left empty for files in the tree at the side.

Am I going to need to reinstall and point the OS toward that partition as my home folder? Could I possibly use GParted or another program to format that partition so that it will show up? Have Mint on its own 50GB partition (so that I will have room for anything I may want, including a Windows in VM), and should have access to the other 945GB or so partition where I can keep files?
Last edited by fletcher on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cannot see partitions in folder tree

Post by Spearmint2 »

You did a LIVE install? Or a Full one?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot see partitions in folder tree

Post by fletcher »

I did a full install. Had used GParted in live session to set up partitions, as doing the partitions during the install was formatting them incarrectly.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot see partitions in folder tree

Post by Spearmint2 »

Looking back at previous posts, is this on that same W8 computer with the GPT drive and UEFI-BIOS in it? You want it all MBR instead? Check to see if it's still GPT

run this in terminal and see what it says.

Code: Select all

gdisk
if you don't have it, then;

sudo apt-get install gdisk
Also google for wikis on GPT, MBR, UEFI and read up on it.

Also copy/paste into terminal, report results;

sudo fdisk -l; parted -l; blkid
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”