Modifying the dual boot list

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
EOY
Level 1
Level 1

Modifying the dual boot list

Post by EOY »

I have just downloaded and installed Mint 17.1 Rebecca, my first use of Linux The installation process was awesome, even the dual Linux Windows booting. However I would like to shuffle the order on the boot list so Windows is first and will boot automatically for my wife. I have been unable to find the table that drives the selection screen. Please can someone advise me where to find it? Can it be changed easily?
marvinudy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Modifying the dual boot list

Post by marvinudy »

Review your current boot menu and count down the list to the 'windows' entry. Start the count at '0'. Open a terminal as root and edit the /etc/default/grub entry. The 'nano' command should work for editing. Change the 'GRUB_DEFAULT=0' entry to 'GRUB_DEFAULT=(what ever the number windows is in the boot order). Save the changes. As the instructions indicate, as root run 'update-grub' and reboot. When you now boot, the 'windows' entry should be highlighted. You can now use the 'enter' key to launch windows or just wait for the default time-out to occur and launch windows. It is possible that you may have 'hidden' entries in the boot menu that you will have to take into account when you determine 'windows' position in the boot order.

It is also possible to 'move' windows up to the top of the order by editing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file but you will lose the setting every time you 'update-grub'. This approach is not as 'simple' as the first option. My advice is to follow the KISS principle.

best regards,

marvinudy
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I use Grub Customizer to modify my Grub setup.

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter200 ... customizer

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
EOY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EOY »

Many thanks, problem solved

Return to “Newbie Questions”