Customising Mint [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ItsGin
Level 1
Level 1

Customising Mint [SOLVED]

Post by ItsGin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:23 am

I moved this question here because nobody is answering in the Themes forum so I guess it has to be a stupid question.

I found some really great themes on deviantart I searched in the categories and when I came to Desktop Environment I chose GNOME. But that's where my confusion starts. The next sub-categories are: GNOME Shell, GTK3, GTK2 and Metacity (here is the link: http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/cu ... env/gnome/). What do those different themes change? After a little research I found out that The GTK ones change the look of GTK application but here I don't know what apps fall under that categorie. Can I apply GNOME Shell themes to Cinnamon as well, since it is a fork? I know that Metacity is GNOME's windows manager so I am guessing it only changes the look of the windows?

Note: I already tried the themes in the system settings, including the online ones, but sadly they only change the panel and the menu.
Last edited by ItsGin on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
This robot is not tech-savvy so stupid questions may occur.

Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 2.4.6 64-bit.
Lenovo G510 (UEFI), i7, 2.4 GHz, 16GB RAM.

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Customising Mint

Post by WinterTroubles » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:53 am

I'm no expert when it comes to themes, but, posted in these forums I found this tutorial for themes in Cinnamon, http://shyloh.com/themes.html, and it got me started and answered all of my basic questions. It's written for Mint 16, but the major principles still apply to Mint 17/17.1, with only the layout of the GUI windows in 17/17.1 being different to Mint 16.

Hope this helps.
WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Customising Mint

Post by cmost » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:05 pm

To further clarify,

GTK2 is the older toolkit used on Gnome 2.x, MATE, XFCE and LXDE (LXDE has recently been ported to Qt)

GTK3 is the newest version of GTK and is used with Ubuntu's Unity, Gnome 3.x and Cinnamon. (MATE 1.9.x has also been compiled with the newer GTK3)

Qt3 was the toolkit used with older KDE 3.x and is used with its fork Trinity

Qt4 is the toolkit used with KDE and Plasma versions 4.x (and now LXDE)

Qt5 is the newer toolkit used with KDE and Plasma versions 5.x

Theming these various toolkits can be tricky if you're trying to get a consistent look and feel across all of your applications which may have been built using different versions of GTK (Firefox and Thunderbird for example uses GTK2)

Most theme designers provide GTK2 and GTK3 versions of their theme, and bundle them together to make installation easier. But, not all theme designers may do so and older themes that pre-date GTK3 may not work correctly.

gnome-look.org is a great source of modern themes for GTK based desktops; kde-look.org is where to go for Qt based desktops.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
86.5 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Linux Mint 18.2 MATE 1.18 +Compiz
Kernel 4.09 LTS

Return to “Newbie Questions”