Alt-Tab leaves icon "strip" on screen, doesn't surface

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
henrylaw
Level 1
Level 1

Alt-Tab leaves icon "strip" on screen, doesn't surface

Post by henrylaw » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Newly-installed Mint 17 with Cinnamon, all maintenance applied. (My first try with Mint after years of Ubuntu, and I'm generally very impressed). I've tried searching for "alt tab switch windows" but the terms are so common that the signal-to-noise ratio is close to zero.

When I press Alt-tab I get the "strip" of icons across the screen, as expected. When I release it I expect another window to surface and the "strip" to go away. (Let's not talk about which one surfaces; I understand stacks and rings). But what actually happens when I release both keys is that the "strip" stays there, with the next icon highlighted, but the previous window remains on top and has focus.

If I press and release Alt-Tab a second time then the window associated with the highlighted icon surfaces, but the "strip" is still there. I've just clicked to surface this browser window and am typing in it, but the strip is still up there, with the previous window's icon highlighted.

And in fact the "strip" of icons is reluctant to go away. I've alt-tabbed to the next window, which raises and gets focus, but still the icons are there, blocking the view. I typed half this post with the strip hanging around. Finally another alt-tab made it disappear.

This can't be normal behaviour, can it? And if it is how can I get alt-tab to do what it does everywhere else: switch to the next window in the ring or stack and then go away?

henrylaw
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Alt-Tab leaves icon "strip" on screen, doesn't surface

Post by henrylaw » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:18 pm

I restarted overnight and this behaviour seems to be gone; so it's some kind of a transient bug that is chased away by a reset. Oh well, as long as it doesn't happen too often I guess I can live with it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”