How do I log out of a shared folder in XFCE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Peekay
Level 1
Level 1

How do I log out of a shared folder in XFCE?

Post by Peekay »

I have installed SAMBA config (Samba Server Configuration Tool 1.2.63) and successfuly set up shared folders on my Mint 13/XFCE and Mint 17/MATE machines. I can access the folders from either PC by typing smb:// followed by the IP address or computer name in the file manager(s). The difference I have found is that in MATE, the logged-in share has a 'logout/unmount' icon (like an eject icon) next to it, but I can't see one in XFCE. How do I log out of a remote machine from XFCE?
Mint 13/XFCE - 1.4 GHz Celeron-M Laptop - 750 MB ram - 1xHDD
Mint 17.1/MATE - 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 - 1 GB ram - 2xHDD

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How do I log out of a shared folder in XFCE?

Post by Fornhamfred »

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

In Mint 13 XFCE you have a double problem:

The mounted share doesn't show up in the side panel of Thunar.
And there is no mount / unmount icon on the desktop.

If you were to install Min17 only half of those problems would be resolved:

The mounted share will show up on the Thunar side panel and you can unmount from there.
But there still wouldn't be a mount / unmount desktop icon despite there being an option for that because of a bug: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10758

You've got a couple of choices:

[1] You can install gigolo. You can then use that to unmount ( or mount or with a little work automount ) these shares.
[2] Don't unmount the share. When a user logs off of his session all gvfs mounts unmount gracefully automatically.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Peekay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peekay »

@Fornhamfred. Many thanks for that link.

That's a great tip to dynamically create a share that can be accessed from another PC on the network. I tried it and it works well, although for some reason the new share only shows up in the remote file manager (Caja in may case), not the host (Thunar).

Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem of logging out of the remote PC from XFCE. I think the solution for the meantime is to use Altair4's suggestion:
[2] Don't unmount the share. When a user logs off of his session all gvfs mounts unmount gracefully automatically.
The problem I had was that the XFCE PC hung on shutdown if any remote shares were still mounted. Logging out first and then shutting down does seem to solve this.

Thanks to both for your help.
Mint 13/XFCE - 1.4 GHz Celeron-M Laptop - 750 MB ram - 1xHDD
Mint 17.1/MATE - 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 - 1 GB ram - 2xHDD

Return to “Newbie Questions”