How to make a bootable cd/dvd - What size does it need to be

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
colski
Level 2
Level 2

How to make a bootable cd/dvd - What size does it need to be

Post by colski »

Apparently there are no such things as "stupid" questions....so here goes ;-)

I have an old Sony laptop (7 years old) and want to put Linux Mint 17.1 onto it.

I have successfully installed linuxmint onto a few PC's using a bootable usb.

However, the old laptop will not boot from a usb. I can only use a cd/dvd or a hard drive etc.

So here's the dumb question.The iso file is approximately 1.3 GB. Does this mean I have to burn this file to a dvd that has a capacity of a least 1.3 GB?

I've just checked all my dvd's and CD's and the capacity is a max of 700mb.

Do I have to try and purchase some writeable dvd's that hold at least 1.3GB or is there some other way to test linuxmint on the laptop.

I don't want to install it onto the laptop straight away as I need to make sure I can get various things working under linuxmint first, such as wi-fi, video, etc. Then if I can get these working, then I will do a proper install.

Thanks,

Colski
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to make a bootable cd/dvd - What size does it need t

Post by all41 »

dvd recordable are all at least 4.7gb, dual layer 8.5gb
cd recordable are 700mb
Also there is a boot utility called Plop boot which allows most pcs to boot from usb devices
even though it does not normally do so.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If you have a USB slot on your laptop then you can boot from a USB stick with a Linux Mint 17.1 ISO on it.

After you have pressed the "power on" button (with the USB stick plugged in), repeatedly press "Esc". That should generate a screen offering various options for boot. Select the USB stick and you are good to go.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

You can boot from USB with Slitaz boot floppy/CD.
http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/#floppy

PS. You can make a bootCD using K3b, using floppy image as a boot image (new data project -> edit boot ... ).
Attachments
slitaz-bootCD.png

Return to “Newbie Questions”