SOLVED: Followup to Some Help : New Hardware & Moving ...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Kronstadt1921
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: Followup to Some Help : New Hardware & Moving ...

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

2nd Update: I re-read the motherboard manual and cruised some forums. I found two problems. First, I needed to disable AHCI and enable "Native IDE" in the OnChip SATA Type setting. The Windows installation process then got to the next hurdle. According to the mobo manual you need a floppy drive to install AMD A88X drivers for 32-bit Windows XP; you can't install everything from the CD or a flash drive. I don't have a floppy drive and so I'm going to just try to install Linux Mint and skip the Windows install.

Update: Enabling AMD Memory Profile in BIOS solved the RAM frequency mismatch. I rechecked CPU cooler and discovered it was not properly secured. I either failed to secure it properly the first time or more likely I accidentally loosened it while installing cables or something. I still have the OS question. Thanks.

So, I built the system I first mentioned in this post and I have some followup questions.

This is my first new system build. I put everything together and, miraculously, it all seemed to work together properly on the first go. When I enter the BIOS utility everything seemed to be properly identified and configured except for the RAM. The RAM I bought is G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 but BIOS shows it running at 1333MHz and doesn't give me any option to change the speed to 1866. I'm going to go to G.Skills and Gigabyte for some help on this issue but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone here had some ideas. According G.Skills this memory should work with my Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ motherboard.

Although my current plan is for this new machine to be Linux only I was planning to first test the hardware with a Windows setup because I am a complete Linux newbie. I have an old (2002) 32-bit Windows XP SP1 CD. When I boot with that in the DVD/CD drive it starts to install Windows and then stops saying there's an error. I'm wondering is this is due to OS incompatability with the all new hardware.

Any way, after an hour break with the machine turned off I just tried to install Windows again to reproduce the erro but the machine now won't stay on for more than a few seconds before it shuts down automatically. According to the BIOS setup the CPU temperature is going from ~45°C to ~74°C in seconds (max. operating temp for this CPU is reportedly 71.3°C). When I first ran the system this didn't happen and I have confirmed that the case and CPU fans are running. I ran it with the case fulled closed except to briefly check the fans after this new problem arose. I installed the stock AMD heatsink and fan that comes with the processor. It comes with thermal paste pre-applied. Any ideas

To recap, here are my three issues/questions:
1. RAM frequency mismatch SOLVED
2. Can't install Windows XP
3. Apparent CPU overheating SOLVED

Thanks.

Current system hardware configurations is below:

CPU: AMD A10-7800 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Last edited by Kronstadt1921 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My system on 02Aug2020:
CPU: AMD A10-7800 3.5GHz
Mbd: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+
RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3-1866
SDA: Kingston SV300S3 SSD 120GB
SDB: WD 1003FZEX HDD 1TB
SDC: Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500 GB
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Followup to Some Help : New Hardware & Moving to Linux

Post by MrBob22 »

The first thing you have to do is get the cpu properly cooled down. If you know the CPU and case fans are running, then I would think next thing to check is whether the CPU fan/heat sink are snapped all the way in. If not, that could be the cause of the rampaging temps.
Also double check to be sure you have the cpu fan connected to the cpu fan header and not the case fan connector. The cpu fan needs to check rpms of the fan to set its speeds. Since the machine shuts down in mere seconds, this almost certainly is a fault in the cpu fan connection, the fan itself is bad, or the cpu fan and heatsink are not properly seated in their place. You wont be loaded windows or anything else until your cooling system is up and running.

I dont know why your memory is not reporting a higher speed but maybe someone else can inform on that subject. (I never buy very fast memory because it does not seem to make much real speed difference for the cost difference.)
Good Luck, MrBob22
Aristotelian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aristotelian »

If the CPU fan is secure, the problem good be too much or too little thermal paste. Did you by any chance add thermal paste in addition to what comes with fan?
Kronstadt1921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

MrBob22 wrote: ... next thing to check is whether the CPU fan/heat sink are snapped all the way in.
Thanks for your help. That was the problem.
My system on 02Aug2020:
Kronstadt1921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

Aristotelian wrote:If the CPU fan is secure, the problem good be too much or too little thermal paste. Did you by any chance add thermal paste in addition to what comes with fan?
Thanks for your help. The CPU fan was not properly secured. Fixing that solved the problem.
My system on 02Aug2020:
Kronstadt1921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

Update: Enabling AMD Memory Profile in BIOS solved the RAM frequency mismatch. I rechecked CPU cooler and discovered it was not properly secured. I either failed to secure it properly the first time or more likely I accidentally loosened it while installing cables or something. I still have the OS question. Thanks.
My system on 02Aug2020:
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Kronstadt1921 wrote:Update: Enabling AMD Memory Profile in BIOS solved the RAM frequency mismatch. I rechecked CPU cooler and discovered it was not properly secured. I either failed to secure it properly the first time or more likely I accidentally loosened it while installing cables or something. I still have the OS question. Thanks.
Your first indications will be gleaned from running the live media :wink:
ImageImage
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

There's no real advantage to installing WinXP first and, as you have mentioned, you problem could be hardware based... your hardware is 10+ years newer than WinXP - none of it existed when your WinXP disk was produced!

WharfRat is right, boot the live medium and have at it...

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Kronstadt1921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

Reorx wrote:There's no real advantage to installing WinXP first and, as you have mentioned, you problem could be hardware based... your hardware is 10+ years newer than WinXP - none of it existed when your WinXP disk was produced!

WharfRat is right, boot the live medium and have at it...

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:
Thanks, I'm going to try to install from a USB. I've updated the original post (see below) and would like to close this thread.

2nd Update: I re-read the motherboard manual and cruised some forums. I found two problems. First, I needed to disable AHCI and enable "Native IDE" in the OnChip SATA Type setting. The Windows installation process then got to the next hurdle. According to the mobo manual you need a floppy drive to install AMD A88X drivers for 32-bit Windows XP; you can't install everything from the CD or a flash drive. I don't have a floppy drive and so I'm going to just try to install Linux Mint and skip the Windows install.
My system on 02Aug2020:
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Kronstadt1921 wrote:I don't have a floppy drive and so I'm going to just try to install Linux Mint and skip the Windows install.
If you need windows you might want to try it in an oracle virtual box.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”