Linux Mint takes more power to run

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
valasudurai
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint takes more power to run

Post by valasudurai »

Linux Mint takes more power battery so i can't use if the powerdown day i mean saturday and sunday to run i am using sandisk 4gb pendrive i am using linuxmint 8 month andso on because i not using many application on my lap like blender office etc but it takes lot of power from the battery so it works only 1hour only and even low it doesn't allow me or not working the screen brightness but to reduce the brightness power so i can't use it for long time

Is there any way to reduce the screen brightness the option not works

I am also got new issue if cinnamon crashed i can't restore it back so i tried another way i mean i just login to root and copy the data and change the permission of the file and creating new user and get the cinnamon interface back

Any idea is that some app not works in root mode vlc not works in root mode
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint takes more power to run

Post by MtnDewManiac »

valasudurai wrote:cinnamon
Try switching to a lighter-weight DE. I don't know that running a heavy desktop environment that requires hardware graphics acceleration uses more electricity than a lightweight DE such as Xfce (or even MATE) - but my gut tells me that it makes sense.

There is also this article:

Code: Select all

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/improve-power-usage-battery-life-in.html
but I have never tried it. Also, it is from two years ago, so it may or may not be entirely current (so to speak :lol: ) regarding the state of electricity usage in linux at this time.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Running Cinnamon on my Desktop PC with an external monitor, I also find the Cinnamon Brightness control does not work. I use the monitor's hardware brightness control to adjust. If you are using a laptop, there is probably a hardware adjustment for the monitor, maybe an "Fn" or similar command on the keyboard.

If you want to keep Cinnamon, go into Settings and
. be sure the "Effects" are all turned off.
. Disable Window Tiling and Edge Flip.
. Open Startup Applications and disable any software you don't need.
. Use the default themes and remove unnecessary applets from the panel and desklets from the desktop screen.

A lightweight desktop environment like XFCE or LXDE could save battery life, but you also should go through settings and disable Compositing and other useless settings.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
valasudurai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by valasudurai »

yes i am using laptop when i adjust the setting it can't reduce the brightness it uses 100% brightness please help me to reduce the brightness so it help me to work in battery for long time

One more thing when i use blender it warn me the battery is low even if the battery is 60% i don't know why this happen? i know blender uses lot of battery power but why it warns "the battery is low please recharge"
Last edited by valasudurai on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

valasudurai wrote:Linux Mint takes more power battery
As well as a Cinnamon issue, it could also be an issue with some piece of hardware / driver.

To post your hardware specifications, you can open Terminal in the menu and run this command:

inxi -F
Please post the output of the command here.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

valasudurai wrote:[...] so i can't use if the powerdown day i mean saturday and sunday [...]
Just wondering, what do you mean by that? You are getting power cuts every Saturday and Sunday?
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

This has worked for me along with some others on the page, you just have to remember to change Arch commands, to Ubuntu commands: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... ode]Adding advanced flags to the GRUB configuration file
Make backup a default grub file:
sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak
Edit grub file in Your favorite text editor. For this HowTo I used gedit.
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Find line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Paste the appropriate flags between the quotation marks as described below.
For more information on what these flags do, please read The Arch Wiki.
The story of _OSI(Linux)

From pre-history through Linux-2.6.22, Linux responded TRUE upon a BIOS OSI(Linux) query. Unfortunately, reference BIOS writers got wind of this and put OSI(Linux) in their example code, quickly exposing this string as ill-conceived and opening the door to an un-bounded number of BIOS incompatibilities. For example, OSI(Linux) was used on resume to re-POST a video card on one system, because Linux at that time could not do a speedy restore in its native driver. But then upon gaining quick native restore capability, Linux has no way to tell the BIOS to skip the time-consuming POST -- putting Linux at a permanent performance disadvantage. On another system, the BIOS writer used OSI(Linux) to infer native OS support for IPMI! On other systems, OSI(Linux) simply got in the way of Linux claiming to be compatible with other operating systems, exposing BIOS issues such as skipped device initialization.
So "Linux" turned out to be a really poor chose of OSI string, and from Linux-2.6.23 onward we respond FALSE.
BIOS writers should NOT query _OSI(Linux) on future systems. Linux will complain on the console when it sees it, and return FALSE. To get Linux to return TRUE for your system will require a kernel source update to add a DMI entry, or boot with "acpi_osi=Linux".
Source
GRUB Flags

INTEL - standard (Linux 3.14.x or older)

acpi_osi=Linux acpi=force acpi_enforce_resources=lax i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1

INTEL - when not working backlight control function keys (Linux 3.14.x or older)

acpi_osi=Linux acpi=force acpi_enforce_resources=lax i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1 acpi_backlight=vendor

INTEL - standard (Linux 3.15.x or newer)

acpi_osi=Linux acpi=force acpi_enforce_resources=lax i915.enable_rc6=1 i915.enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1

INTEL - when not working backlight control function keys (Linux 3.15.x or newer)

acpi_osi=Linux acpi=force acpi_enforce_resources=lax i915.enable_rc6=1 i915.enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1 acpi_backlight=vendor

AMD/NVIDIA - standard

acpi_osi=Linux acpi=force acpi_enforce_resources=lax

AMD/NVIDIA - when not working backlight control function keys

acpi_osi=Linux acpi=force acpi_enforce_resources=lax drm.vblankoffdelay=1 acpi_backlight=vendor[/code]
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)
valasudurai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by valasudurai »

ganamant wrote:
valasudurai wrote:[...] so i can't use if the powerdown day i mean saturday and sunday [...]
Just wondering, what do you mean by that? You are getting power cuts every Saturday and Sunday?
Note We are facing lot of powercut due to the worst polical party thats why i mentioned daily four hours and even more so i can't charge the laptop
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

I think your best bet, then, would be a deep cycle lead-acid battery coupled with a DC/DC converter. Don't use a regular car battery, though, because this kind of job will kill it in no time. Make sure the output current rating of the converter at least matches that of the laptop's power supply.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

AlbertP wrote:
valasudurai wrote:Linux Mint takes more power battery
As well as a Cinnamon issue, it could also be an issue with some piece of hardware / driver.

To post your hardware specifications, you can open Terminal in the menu and run this command:

inxi -F
Please post the output of the command here.
@ valasudurai: Please post that information. There may be something specific to your machine!
We won't be able to help you correctly if we don't know the hardware, up to now we only can do "random" suggestions that helped on somebody else's hardware but we have no way of knowing that they will also work on your hardware.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

ganamant wrote:I think your best bet, then, would be a deep cycle lead-acid battery coupled with a DC/DC converter. Don't use a regular car battery, though, because this kind of job will kill it in no time. Make sure the output current rating of the converter at least matches that of the laptop's power supply.
I'm guessing that if the OP lives in a 3rd-world country - or one in which the politicos in power think it is good policy to foster a 3rd-world environment - that he/she may not have access to deep-cycle (aka "marine") batteries and a converter that can produce clean voltage which won't be detrimental to his/her laptop's long-term survival.

I could be wrong, of course.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Newbie Questions”