Slow loading graphics (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robgoss

Slow loading graphics (Solved)

Post by robgoss »

Hello everyone I have a question i'm hoping someone can help me with. I have an old Dell dimension 2400 with 1. GB or ram not to sure of the processor. The problem I'm having is slow loading images each let's say I do a search for wall paper of other images they load kind of slow. What do you think it could be? And I'm running Linux Mint 17.1.

Thanks so much for any help with this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Slow loading graphics

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- launch a terminal window and make it fullscreen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
robgoss

Post by robgoss »

Here is what I got

Dimension-2400 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: Dell product: Dimension 2400
Mobo: Dell model: 0G1548 version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A05 date: 12/02/2003
CPU: Single core Intel Celeron CPU (-UP-) cache: 128 KB flags: (sse sse2) bmips: 4784.57 clocked at 2392.289 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: ee00 edc0 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-T bus-ID: 01:09.0
IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Card-2: Belkin F7D1101 v1 Basic Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188SU] driver: r8712u usb-ID: 050d:945a
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (6.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD800JB size: 80.0GB temp: 26C
Partition: ID: / size: 72G used: 4.7G (7%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.61GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 135 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 300.1/1507.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You have 1.5 GB RAM, of which part is being consumed by the Intel video chipset (shared RAM). Look into the BIOS and increase the amount of shared RAM that the video chipset can use, to 256 MB or even 512 MB.

Here are some more speed tips:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3

With that, and with the lightweight Xfce desktop that you're already running, your old machine should perform reasonably well. But don't expect miracles....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
robgoss

Post by robgoss »

I though it should be running a little better then this seeing I have a few other machines with the same specs. Thanks so much
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

A single-core CPU (especially a "budget" type (Celeron)), when coupled with integrated graphics, can mean that some things are "slow." Your processor can only work on one task at a time.

There might be things going on in the background that you could terminate which would lighten the load; IDK.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
robgoss

Post by robgoss »

MtnDewManiac wrote:A single-core CPU (especially a "budget" type (Celeron)), when coupled with integrated graphics, can mean that some things are "slow." Your processor can only work on one task at a time.

There might be things going on in the background that you could terminate which would lighten the load; IDK.

Regards,
MDM

Like what?
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

I have a laptop with quad-core processor, 1.5 GHZ, 4096 KB cache, I see that your processor has only 128 KB of cache, this can be the reason for the slowness in processing images...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
robgoss

Post by robgoss »

jungle_boy wrote:I have a laptop with quad-core processor, 1.5 GHZ, 4096 KB cache, I see that your processor has only 128 KB of cache, this can be the reason for the slowness in processing images...
Is there anything I can do to improve the performance thanks so much
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

No way.

L1 and L2 cache are defined by the manufacturer of the CPU.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
robgoss

Post by robgoss »

Thanks so much I just wanted to see if it was a way to bring this machine back alive. I mean it runs but not like I want it to.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

You are welcome.
LM 21 Cinnamon
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Have you checked your internet throughput (D/L) speed? Try here > http://performance.toast.net/ Select Broadband, Blue Angels and pick a server and run a test to see what your speeds are. At the top of the results page, it will tell you how long it took your system to D/L the image. I have a pretty quick connection (ISP calls it 50 Mbps) and get the 4MB file in a little less than 1 second - for the sake of comparison. With a closer server (http://www.speedtest.net/), I get what the ISP advertises (actually a little better!)... (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4256677818)

This may also lend a clue. Some images are kind-of large resulting is slower D/L. BTW - how slow is "slow"???

P.S.: I don't think that changing your video RAM is likely to improve performance (in this situation) unless it is set to a really small number as wallpaper is a single/static image and does not really "stress" your video RAM or video subsystem.

Good luck... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
nomko

Post by nomko »

MtnDewManiac wrote:A single-core CPU (especially a "budget" type (Celeron)), when coupled with integrated graphics, can mean that some things are "slow." Your processor can only work on one task at a time.

Regards,
MDM

Not even that, robgoss has the infamous Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device. I know this type of Intel chipset had some serious problems in the past. Just do a search on the internet and you'll see what i mean....
robgoss

Post by robgoss »

Thanks everyone for your time I know this machine is old but I wanted to give it a bit more time before I put it to rest. Being I have four other machines that are quite that old.
robgoss

Post by robgoss »

Thanks everyone for your time I know this machine is old but I wanted to give it a bit more time before I put it to rest. Being I have four other machines that are quite that old.

Return to “Beginner Questions”