Mount drives by default on bootup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ronanstis

Mount drives by default on bootup

Post by ronanstis »

If Windows can do it, it must be a piece of cake for Linux! In Windows, the default is for all drives to be mounted at bootup, and, since I go from C: to P: on my computer, this would help me considerably, so I don't have to remember where a particular piece of data is before I run an application which requires it. I'm sure it can be done in Linux, I just can't find where! Help!
System is Linux Mint 17 Qiana.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Mount drives by default on bootup

Post by kukamuumuka »

Just add mount point to the /etc/fstab file. An example if you have Windows on /dev/sda1

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /mnt/windows

gksudo pluma /etc/fstab  # use gedit if you have no pluma
... add the line

/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults 0 0
... save, quit and mount windows for the first time

sudo mount -a
PS. You can use UUID in stead of /dev/XXX also.
PS2. Now Windows is found from /mnt/windows
ronanstis

Post by ronanstis »

To administrollaatori,

Tried with little luck. The system is already set up as a multi-boot system, with Win 7 on a 1TB HDD, Data files on a 500 GB HDD and Win XP and Linux on a 320 GB HDD. It boots to Linux by default, but I can choose Win bootloader fom the OS menu, then select either Win 7 (def) or Win XP from the resulting page.
When I entered the suggested command lines (changed as I thought to give me my music), I got:

ron@Roffice ~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/Win 7 Audio Files
[sudo] password for ron:
ron@Roffice ~ $ gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

(gedit:5520): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:5520): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.NXY0VX': No such file or directory

(gedit:5520): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:5520): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.P0T5VX': No such file or directory

The gedit line took me to fstab, and I was able to enter and save /UUID/sda1 /mnt/Win 7 Audio Files defaults 0 0 without trouble.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

ronanstis wrote: ron@Roffice ~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/Win 7 Audio Files
Your mount point is set the wrong way. It should has like

sudo mkdir /mnt/"Win 7 Audio Files"
... or

sudo mkdir /mnt/Win\ 7\ Audio\ Files
... and for fstab

UUID=therightuuidhere /mnt/"Win 7 Audio Files"
You get the UUID when running a command

sudo blkid
nomko

Post by nomko »

ronanstis wrote: (gedit:5520): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:5520): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.NXY0VX': No such file or directory

(gedit:5520): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.P0T5VX': No such file or directory

The gedit line took me to fstab, and I was able to enter and save /UUID/sda1 /mnt/Win 7 Audio Files defaults 0 0 without trouble.
Check here for how to get rid of that Gtk warning:
https://sites.google.com/site/easytipsf ... tk-warning
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

@ administrollaattori is right. In linux, path to files/folders must not contain -space- . If -space- comes up in folder name, use quotes.
administrollaattori wrote:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults 0 0
Using 'defaults' has created troubles with accessing files with dropbox and amarok for me in the past. It didn't allow write/modify (i don't know if that has changed now, do correct me).
I have always used

/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows  ntfs  rw,auto,noexec,umask=000  0   0
instead.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Spaces in filenames, although permitted, are an endless source of problems, particularly if you venture away from the gui. I suggest that you rename your "Win 7 Audio Files" to something like "Win7AudioFiles" or "win7_audio_files".
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Spaces in filenames, although permitted, are an endless source of problems,

Yes. Spaces in filenames is a terrible idea.

You created a dir named /mnt/Win, and also dirs named "7", "Audio", and "Files" in whatever directory you were in when you ran that command - you might want to delete those.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Just make sure that your Audio Files are NOT on the same partition as the Windows 7 OS. IF they are, you need to move them to a different partition -- one that has only data on it. Why? Because mounting a Win7 OS partition read/write in Linux can easily lead to filesystem corruptipon -- and if that happens, Win7 will not be rebootable, making it very hard to fix.
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

Mark Phelps wrote:Because mounting a Win7 OS partition read/write in Linux can easily lead to filesystem corruption -- and if that happens, Win7 will not be bootable, making it very hard to fix.
i did corrupt NTFS partition once, while removing a large movie file, on linux. Later on when i booted to windows 7, it gave warning and ran chkdsk. Lucky it wasn't the C drive. You should use 'ro' instead of 'rw' on sda1 to be safe. Other drives can have 'rw'.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”