Adobe Flash and Firefox Outdated, won't update, Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wabbit Wabbit

Adobe Flash and Firefox Outdated, won't update, Solved

Post by Wabbit Wabbit »

Hi once again. I'm going to be here a lot, I see. I keep getting the Firefox saying that the adobe flash is outdated and it's blocking it. I have a very jerky experience on line. The page jumps around so much it caused me to buy the wrong thing on line! I went to click the right thing, thinking I got it and ended up with an invoice for something 5 rows above the one I wanted. So this thing is costing me money as well as probably giving me some type of tick so I can read the pages! But anyway, at the same time the firefox, pages are telling me, is also outdated. I have done all the directions I can find on line to update it but nothing works.

I go to Help and click About Firefox and from what I've read, it's supposed to just automatically update itself but it isn't doing that. It says it's firefox 33.0 for Linux Mint mint 1.0 and that's about all it says.

I am using Mint 17.1 Rebecca. That's as detailed as I can get, not knowing what other info is necessary as yet. I have gone to the download pages, downloaded them into what pops up, which is the download folder. I try to unzip them and they unzip, so it says and then they just sit there and do nothing and when I'm on line again I get the same dem thing going on. Nothing has changed. :(

Think of me as a kindergartener or pre-schooler. I need really down down step by step instructions. Understanding them isn't as important to me as simply doing the right thing. Why is for the genuses who got us these machines in the first place :wink:

As always, thanks for you who take your time to help us beginners.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Adobe Flash and Firefox Outdated, won't update

Post by nomko »

Okay, Adobe dropped the development of Flash for Linux a while ago. Adobe Flash will only get security updates, nothing more. The latest version of Flash for Linux is 11.2. Thus means that the Flash version for Windows is still maintained/under development. Therefore you get warnings in FF about an outdated Flash.

There are some options for you:

Adobe Flash is and will stay outdated for Linux. Most websites are converting to HMTL5 ditching Flash for HMTL5.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Open Update Manager (Mint Update) and apply updates... then check the status of FF & Flash
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Wabbit Wabbit

Post by Wabbit Wabbit »

nomko wrote:Okay, Adobe dropped the development of Flash for Linux a while ago. Adobe Flash will only get security updates, nothing more. The latest version of Flash for Linux is 11.2. Thus means that the Flash version for Windows is still maintained/under development. Therefore you get warnings in FF about an outdated Flash.

There are some options for you:

Adobe Flash is and will stay outdated for Linux. Most websites are converting to HMTL5 ditching Flash for HMTL5.
Well, that makes sense and makes me feel smarter. Thank you!
Wabbit Wabbit

Post by Wabbit Wabbit »

Reorx wrote:Open Update Manager (Mint Update) and apply updates... then check the status of FF & Flash
Ok, thank you!
nomko

Post by nomko »

Reorx wrote:Open Update Manager (Mint Update) and apply updates... then check the status of FF & Flash
To do what? Finding out that way that Flash is outdated?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

nomko wrote:
To do what? Finding out that way that Flash is outdated?
I was just thinking that the OP is a newb and is talking about software updating itself and is running FF V33 (current on Mint is V37)... Doesn't seem to have a grasp of how to update a Mint system and obviously hasn't updated in quite a while (maybe never - Mint 17.1 came with FF33 ootb!). I thought updating his system is, at a minimum, a good idea and there is a chance that it might actually fix his problems. Just sayin'... :mrgreen:

...I see that the thread title included [solved] - maybe Wabbit Wabbit will revisit this thread and give us an update on what he did and the specific results...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
nomko

Post by nomko »

Reorx wrote:
...I see that the thread title included [solved] - maybe Wabbit Wabbit will revisit this thread and give us an update on what he did and the specific results...
Yeah, i just spotted it too. Curious what he did to solve it....

Return to “Beginner Questions”