kernel update knowledge

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3

kernel update knowledge

Post by rajumukherjee »

When updating to linux mint 17.2 if I have updated to another kernel other then what is with the update should that cause conflict
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: kernel update knowledge

Post by karlchen »

rajumukherjee wrote:When updating to linux mint 17.2 if I have updated to another kernel other then what is with the update should that cause conflict
This is a speculative question. So only speculative answers could be given.
We do not know which kernel will be on your Linux Mint 17.x when you decide to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.2.
We do not know the exact requirements of Linux Mint 17.2, yet.
So at this point in time no meaningful answer can be given to your quesion, yet.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: kernel update knowledge

Post by Spearmint2 »

rajumukherjee wrote:When updating to linux mint 17.2 if I have updated to another kernel other then what is with the update should that cause conflict
There's no requirement to update your kernel that I know of at this time. Just uncheck the part in the updater for kernel. By default I believe it is already unchecked. YOU make the decision on when/if you need a newer kernel.

The best approach in my opinion for kernel update is if it supplies something you need for a device that you currently don't have in the kernel you are using.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Newbie Questions”