After Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon Install...?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Compass
Level 1
Level 1

After Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon Install...?

Post by Compass »

I have been searching for some kind of answer to this question but no success.....I'm thinking I just don't know how to pose the question....so here goes.
I am used to Ubuntu and after an install of Ubuntu I have to spend a good hour copying and pasting in Terminal to get all the codecs, microsoft fonts, files to enable DVD playback of my store bought movie DVD's and many many more stuff to enable my basic computer needs.
What do I have to install after an installation of Linux mint 17.1 Cinnamon ? Do I need to do the same adding of codecs and DVD player enabling etc...?
The reason I ask is I had Mint 17.1 installed for about a day and then installed an application that I really wanted but the app screwed up so I re-formatted and re-installed Ubuntu and sure enough...it is screwing up there as well.Apparently they updated to a new version of my app and I had no choice but to get the new one which does not run as well as the old.....so, if I am going to be stuck with a faulty app either way.....I kind of like the look and feel of Mint Cinammon more than Ubuntu so am thinking of another format and re-install....this time going all the way with anything I might need to "terminal" in order to get all the fonts, codecs etc....as stated above.
Also, I read somewhere that the Linux Mint 17.1 repositories are suppose to be re-done or something like that so that Mint will only be able to use software from these repositories and will not be able to grab from the Ubuntu ones without risk to mints stability ....something along those lines anyway....can't find the actual page I read this...should have bookmarked it....anybody?
Sorry if this is in the wrong catagory....I think I got it right but I could be wrong and I did look for this question in other topics so please forgive me if I am just repeating an already posted question.
Any advise or answers to the above would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: After Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon Install...?

Post by Reorx »

I think that you will find that most if not all of the multimedia toys that you need are already installed in Mint. The easiest way to find out is to try to play whichever video you are interested in and see what happens. If everything works, you're GTG! If you want a specific DVD player, check Synaptic or Software Manager first before looking anywhere else. The same goes for fonts - try creating a document first to see if you already have the fonts that you want/need. If not, check Synaptic or Software manager. I try to use GUI interfaces whenever possible - this works for most things I want to do... I only occasionally have to resort to terminal commands.

If you run into any problems, post a thread here with specifics/details...

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Mint comes equipped with a package called mint-meta-codecs and its description is "All the packages required for multimedia support in Linux Mint."

I've played various media files/dvds and did not have to install any additional packages.
ImageImage
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

See my signature. :mrgreen:

Linux Mint is much more complete out of the box, than Ubuntu. Which saves time and effort. Nevertheless Mint doesn't contain the Microsoft fonts, for instance (probably because of copyright restrictions). Nor some other stuff that I find useful.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Compass
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Compass »

Thanks for the replies .Much appreciated.
I guess with all the articles I read about Mint always saying that what applies to Ubuntu also applies to Mint I just naturally assumed that with Mint I would have to go through all the sudo apt-get stuff for all I spoke about in my question.
I wish some of these internet review wizards would point out what you have just told me....I wonder how many people like me continued to do all the lists of "Things To Do After...." that can be found on the internet related to a Linux install.
When I re-install I'll just do the fonts and that will be it....great.
Thanks again for your replies.

Return to “Newbie Questions”