some questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lurkatron
Level 3
Level 3

some questions

Post by lurkatron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:32 am

after a couple of years in KDE im back on mint which i briefly used before - and i seem to have forgotten a lot!

its really nice to see how its evolved, looking much better and more stable than back in the day. kudos to all involved

anyway my questions:
1: what ubuntu version is 17.1 based on? is it 14.04 lts? need to know for ppas
2:is it possible to turn of the login screen slideshow? - i find it a bit disturbing even though it can look nice
3:i dont like music players integrating with the sound menu. i want a separate tray icon for my music players - clementine does that but it still changes the volume icon, which i dont want - how can i stop it?
4:theres no liferea tray icon anymore??
5:also liferea doesent want to open thte article in my browser, instead it opens it in its own window when i press the spacebar key even if i uncheck 'open links in liferea's window'
6: there seems to be a lot newer kernels available in update manager > view>linux kernels - would it be a problem if i went for the newest one available?
7: i really like the screenlocker - it looks really sleek, however i wonder if its possible to use it more like a screensaver so that i WONT have to enter my password

oh and then theres my usual complain about windows not remembering their position and the lack of 'fixed window placement' - kwin really is superior in that respect (and most respects), and compiz too

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: some questions

Post by xenopeek » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 am

Welcome back.

I can't answer all question, but a few to get started:
1. Yes, all Linux Mint 17.x releases are using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as a package base.
2. I don't know what you mean exactly, but using Login Window application from your menu you can configure the Login Window theme.
5. IIRC that is a configuration option in Liferea that you have to change. It defaults to using its own browser but you can change that.
6. Whether it is a problem depends on you. If the newest kernel has some regression or incompatibility with your hardware, and your system develops problems (like not being able to successfully boot) will you be able to fix that? It's as easy as choosing to boot the older kernel in GRUB, but what may be trivial to one may be a insurmountable obstacle to another.

That leaves questions 3, 4, and 7 for somebody else :)
lurkatron wrote:oh and then theres my usual complain about windows not remembering their position and the lack of 'fixed window placement' - kwin really is superior in that respect (and most respects), and compiz too
That's your opinion. I personally prefer to have an environment where I don't have so many things to configure :wink: Linux Mint does have a KDE edition BTW.

Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Re: some questions

Post by Ginsu543 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Maybe I can answer question #7. You should be able to turn off password input for Screen Locker by going to System Settings --> Screen Locker and clicking off the appropriate boxes under Lock Settings. If I understand you correctly, by checking those boxes off, my screen goes to the Screen Locker screen after a period of time of unuse and then comes right back to my desktop when I move my mouse or hit a button, no need for a password.
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Return to “Newbie Questions”