Sharing files / folders

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ketil

Sharing files / folders

Post by Ketil »

Hi.
Can anyone please guide me step by step how to share a folder on my desktop computer (linux mint elyssa) with my laptop (win vista home premium).

I've searched the forums and tried just about anything, but nothing seems to work.

I've opened ports 137-139 + 445 in Firestarter.

To start from scratch I've done the following:
- Uninstalled network manager and swat.
- Deleted the shares in "admin->shared folders"
- Disabled sharing via nautilus "sharing options"

Appreciate it if someone could take the time and help me.

Ketil.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ketil

Re: Sharing files / folders

Post by Ketil »

.....just to mention it:
Sharing did work right after I installed Linux MInt. But now (a couple of months later) it doesn't. :(

Ketil.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Hi.
Thanks for the tip, but it seems that both episodes on the rss feed is episode 2,
despite the titles say ep 1+ ep 2.

Has to be something wrong with the feed.

So.... I still need help setting up file sharing.

Ketil.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

Right click on the folder you want to share, and choose 'Sharing Options'.
Choose 'Share this Folder'. If Samba is not installed, then you will be given the option to install it.
Once it's done installing, give your share a name, and if you want other people to have write access check the box.
Hope this helps.
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one

Return to “Beginner Questions”