Need Advice: Reinstall or Dump Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kronstadt1921
Level 2
Level 2

Need Advice: Reinstall or Dump Linux Mint?

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

Since I have not found a solution to my boot problem I'm thinking of reinstalling Linux Mint, switching to a different Linux distribution, or turning back to the dark side, i.e. Windows. This was my first Linux install and I was really impressed with the OS and the applications. I like Linux Mint but I want a reliable computer and if I cannot even get it to boot properly then that's a long-term concern.

The problem with a reinstall of Linux Mint is that I don't know what to do differently. I don't know what, if anything, I did wrong the first time. Of course, switching to a different distribution is also a crap shoot since I don't know what went wrong with Mint. I don't really want to go back to Windows but it's been a stable, reliable OS for me for years.

Anyone have any advice?
My system on 11Jun2023:
CPU: AMD A10-7800 3.5GHz
Mbd: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+
RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3-1866
SDA: Kingston SV300S3 SSD 120GB
SDB: WD 1003FZEX HDD 1TB
SDC: Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500 GB
WharfRat

Re: Need Advice: Reinstall or Dump Linux Mint?

Post by WharfRat »

Did you allude to the older kernel working OK :?:

If you decide to install mint or any other linux distro for that matter you might want to try a regular/normal installation, not an encrypted lvm.
Matthew Paul

Post by Matthew Paul »

Before reading... Please be aware this is not advice but an opinion and is not intended to demean anyone who reads it:

I was a Manager, Producer and Host of an Alternative Radio Station that has been online over 4 years now. It seemed much of the feedback that came from the listening audience was the same thing. We're being stabbed in the back, by The Powers That Be and we are aware of how they are doing it. With the thousands of hours I volunteered at Revolution Radio, it never seemed to get past that. With the exception of the pride many seemed to feel, ...that the station had been online for so long by listener donations only.

The point I tried to make to the listeners is that you are one of two parties. Those at the top are TPTB and you are the boots on the ground. The only way anything is going to change is if the Boots on the ground start making some choices, sticking with them and therefore creating the change. Unlike the Democrats and Republicans in this country who are really "One Party", ...TPTB and the Boots are 2 completely different parties. It's going to take determination, patience and lots of work to achieve that change.

I feel and agree with the last sentence in your initial post about Windows. It's comfortable, works pretty simple and most of all is reliable. Why change what already works? Because for the most part... those are the areas you are being stabbed and are not aware of it.

I see Linux as the other party... The Boots on the Ground or everyday person. Since Windows is so reliable and works so well... I continue to watch and see Red Flags popping up everywhere about the OS. The latest being the purchase of Skype. At the same time you can see the Boots on the Ground(Linux) ARE creating that change. The Powers that Be(Windows) are so upset they are pulling one hair at a time while growling. ..."Adobe no long supports Linux". Don't quote me but I believe I also read something similar, "Photobucket no longer supports Linux". What's next? Skype? The deeper picture that appears is that those of us making the switch to Linux are creating that Change. :D

Linux is going to be a lot of work and probably bring on a lot of days in the future with just one question mark keeping you from progressing where you'd like to get to. That's how change is made. Sometimes it seems as slow as a turtle but if you keep moving forward you will continue to move down that path and create the change you were looking for. :wink:

I hope this post was not too long or out of place.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Kronstadt1921 wrote:Since I have not found a solution to my boot problem I'm thinking of reinstalling Linux Mint, switching to a different Linux distribution, or turning back to the dark side, i.e. Windows. This was my first Linux install and I was really impressed with the OS and the applications. I like Linux Mint but I want a reliable computer and if I cannot even get it to boot properly then that's a long-term concern.

The problem with a reinstall of Linux Mint is that I don't know what to do differently. I don't know what, if anything, I did wrong the first time. Of course, switching to a different distribution is also a crap shoot since I don't know what went wrong with Mint. I don't really want to go back to Windows but it's been a stable, reliable OS for me for years.

Anyone have any advice?
I suspect that your problems is caused by the new kernel 3.16.x

1. Did you experienced the same issue wile using the Live CD?
2. Do you expecience the same issue using the old 3.13.x kernel?

A wild guess is that you affected by this https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/ ... 00045.html

An advice:

If everything works with the default kernel that comes with Mint, don't install a new one unless you know exactly why you need from a new one.
Don't change the boot loader that comes by default, you can add a boot screen image if you find it too ugly.
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

Ark987's advice is good. Sometimes on older machines a new kernel doesn't work as well as an older one. Re-install Linux Mint and don't accept the kernel updates. Levels 1 and 2 updates only! My computer is faster and better using the older kernel that came with 17.1 than it was with the newer kernel.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Any time I try a new Linux version I give it a few weeks of test driving on a Persistent Live USB install - that usually tells me if there's a problem that can't be overcome, without committing anything to the hard drive. Unetbootin and an 8gb thumb drive will let you test hardware compatibility and make mistakes on the cheap, with nothing lost if it breaks.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I wish I could help but am a noob also. My simpleton advice would be just to re-install generically, meaning don't chose anything special until your sure you need it. But I think this is all a UEFI setting issue so look that info up before you re-install. You can always go to a different Kernel after install if you need. imo sometimes changing kernels doesn't work out well either. With your system you shouldn't have an issue with the kernel imo.
http://www.howtogeek.com/149254/if-i-bu ... all-linux/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

In the meantime, I would like to suggest MintKDE17.1-64bit, it is awesome! Please give it a whirl in Live mode, I think it is way better than Cinnamon, and, is the most widely used Mint distro.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Do a plain Jane vanilla reinstall and see how everything works... and if it isn't broke, don't fix it!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Kronstadt1921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this. I apologize for taking so long to acknowledge your assistance.
My system on 11Jun2023:
CPU: AMD A10-7800 3.5GHz
Mbd: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+
RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3-1866
SDA: Kingston SV300S3 SSD 120GB
SDB: WD 1003FZEX HDD 1TB
SDC: Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500 GB
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Kronstadt1921 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:45 pm Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this. I apologize for taking so long to acknowledge your assistance.
What's 3 years among friends!?!?!?!? :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Reorx wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 am
Kronstadt1921 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:45 pm Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this. I apologize for taking so long to acknowledge your assistance.
What's 3 years among friends!?!?!?!? :lol:
This has to be a Record...OP still hasn't said what the outcome was...Don't think it matters now anyway. :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Didn't notice how old this thread is until I got to the post where it mentioned the kernel version 3.16.x. :wink:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”