Downloaded ISO to Disc "I'm trying" [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Matthew Paul
Level 3
Level 3

Downloaded ISO to Disc "I'm trying" [SOLVED]

Post by Matthew Paul » Sun May 03, 2015 11:35 pm

I've been doing a lot of reading in the tutorials and am trying my best. I've taken the following steps but no luck yet....

Downloaded File: md5sum linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso

I used the following in terminal to check the MD5 signature and it found it:

cd ~/Downloads
md5sum linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso

"If you're running Linux and would like to use the terminal, from the directory you have downloaded the image to: cdrecord -v -dao dev=1,0,0 linuxmint.iso"

"Replacing the numbers after dev= with the appropriate device number for your disc drive and using the proper iso-name. You can run cdrecord -scanbus
to find this out. You may need to be root to run these commands."

cdrecord -scanbus found the following for my DVD burner: 'HP ' 'DVD Writer 840x ' 'S632' Removable CD-ROM'

"Note: Make sure to burn the ISO image to disk, and not to write the ISO file to the disk. A very common mistake, especially for people using Nero, is to actually burn the ISO file on the disk as a data file. The ISO file is an image of a disk so it needs to be burnt not as a file which will appear on the disk, but as an ISO image which will be decompressed and whose content will be burnt onto the disc. After burning the DVD you shouldn't see the ISO file within the disc, but rather folders like “casper” or “isolinux”. Most burning software has a special option for this."

....with the information I aquired from above, I tried the following commands in terminal. I'm not clear on which part that cdrecord -scanbus found was required in the command from above: "Replacing the numbers after dev= with the appropriate device number for your disc drive"

cdrecord -v -dao dev=S632 linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso

cdrecord -v -dao dev=HP ' 'DVD Writer 840x ' 'S632' Removable CD-ROM linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso

cdrecord -v -dao dev=DVD Writer 840x ' 'S632' Removable CD-ROM linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso

Was I close on any on the commands for Terminal or do I go home without a piece of cake?
Last edited by Matthew Paul on Mon May 04, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are ALL equal in intelligence. The difference between us is the amount of knowledge YOU choose to learn. Keeping that in mind, the only "Stupid Question" is the one that you choose not to ask.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Downloaded ISO to Disc "I'm trying"

Post by WharfRat » Sun May 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Give this a shot

Code: Select all

cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=/dev/sr0 ~/Downloads/linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso
ImageImage

Matthew Paul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matthew Paul » Mon May 04, 2015 12:30 am

Darn! It was looking SO good, WharfRat:

Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), reserve track scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 53 00 00 00 00 00 0A EC 00 00
Sense Bytes: 72 0B 00 00 00 00 00 0E 09 0C 00 00 00 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x0 No Additional Sense, Segment 11
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x02 (end-of-partition/medium detected) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 50.380s timeout 40s
wodim: Cannot open new session.
Writing time: 50.421s
wodim: fifo had 192 puts and 0 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

Getting close though. I am determined. :wink:
We are ALL equal in intelligence. The difference between us is the amount of knowledge YOU choose to learn. Keeping that in mind, the only "Stupid Question" is the one that you choose not to ask.

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Mon May 04, 2015 3:44 am

None of my Linuxmint OS file downloads start with md5sum. Do you have the right file?
Go Steady, but keep going

Matthew Paul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matthew Paul » Mon May 04, 2015 4:07 am

hmm... That's an interesting point, wilbobob. I've been doing a lot of reading through the tutorials and posts on this Forum. I was following the directions on one which was a pdf and gave the following advice. Pointing an importance on the MD5 signature:

If you run any version of Linux you probably already have the md5sum program installed. Open a terminal and “cd” to the directory where your ISO file is (for instance, if “linuxmint.iso” is on the Desktop), open a terminal and type:

cd ~/Desktop
md5sum linuxmint.iso

This command should output a series of numbers and letters which comprise the MD5 sum, or signature, of your ISO file. By design, any small change to the ISO file will cause this signature to be significantly different, allowing us to verify that the file is exactly as it should be.

So I entered the two lines of command/code as they suggested above. It came back with a couple of lines in return. Starting with a long line of numbers and characters. Which is the same name for that HD on my PC... I'm pretty sure. So I figured it did recognize the signature as they suggested above.

I do have an ISO file ready to burn. I was reading, as I wrote in one of the earlier posts... to make sure and burn it as an image and not text. After all that is where I seem to hit the road block. As you can see in the post above, it did recognize my CD Drive and gave me the name of it. So all seems well except executing the process. ...I'll get to that point though. Somehow.... some way. :)

Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bryan88 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:27 am

Ironically, I have had the best results burning Linux ISO's on a Windows machine. No disrespect intended,I love Linux, just my limited experience. Another thing you could try is a USB made with UNetbootin.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 am

typically use K3b, which is part of the Kde desktop, to burn ISOs to disk.

if it's not installed into my current desktop, which is often Mate,
then it gets installed, along swap a swap of support files, that come with it.

another one to try is XFburn which is from the XFCE desktop
and has a less amount of support files, to install with it.

the K3b has the advantage that it calculates that MD5 checksum & displays it,
which you then can compare to the MD5 checksum that is given.

if they match, then go with the disk burn. ..

you can do something similar with the Nero program, if you are using a M$ desktop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Nilla Wafer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nilla Wafer » Mon May 04, 2015 6:35 am

I guess it's just my hardware but about half of the disks I've burned using Brasero don't work. I have alot of very shiny coasters to protect my furniture from hot and cold drinks. Xfburn always works for me, so that's the one I use. But UNetbootin is pretty simple too, and a little faster too. If the "target computer" can boot from a USB drive, that's a good way to go.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon May 04, 2015 8:45 am

Matthew Paul,

I've never encountered that message. What does this return

cdrecord -checkdrive
ImageImage

Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw » Mon May 04, 2015 11:45 am

The easiest way for a beginner to burn an ISO image is to use a GUI program such as Xfburn or K3B.

If you want to use the terminal, the most reliable method I've found is to use growisofs:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=~/Downloads/linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso

Matthew Paul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matthew Paul » Mon May 04, 2015 5:01 pm

Bryan88 wrote:Ironically, I have had the best results burning Linux ISO's on a Windows machine. No disrespect intended,I love Linux, just my limited experience. Another thing you could try is a USB made with UNetbootin.
hee... No disrespect taken, Bryan88. I would use my Windows to do just that but I can't seem to get it setup. LOL *facepalm* I have a brand new 120Gb HDD that arrived. When I hooked it up, I had no network access and of course, I misplaced the CD that came with the fiber optic modem. ...such is life.
----------
WharfRat wrote:I've never encountered that message. What does this return

CODE: SELECT ALL
cdrecord -checkdrive
I tried what you suggested and the following came back:

~ $ cdrecord -checkdrive
Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'HP '
Identification : 'DVD Writer 840x '
Revision : 'S632'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO

That seemed to find the correct drive and came back with all the correct information. So we're on the right path. :wink:
----------
Buzzsaw wrote:CODE: SELECT ALL
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=~/Downloads/linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso
:-( unable to open64("~/Downloads/linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso",O_RDONLY): No such file or directory

Trying the above came back with something short. Appeared it was not good though. I'm not sure.... My guess would be the "64" ...as in bit? I have a 32bit machine/system.
----------
Thanks for the insight and advice, Nilla Wafer. Look on the positive side. You have plenty of coasters when company comes over. :D
----------
Hello, Pierre. I'll do some reading and see if I can learn where to find what you suggested. Linux Mint 13 "Maya" Xfce is the version I am using now.

A BIG thanks to everybody here for sharing your knowledge and taking the time for advice.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon May 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Can I see what you have in your Download folder :?:

ls -lh ~/Downloads/linuxmint*
and

ls -lh /dev/cd*
ImageImage

Matthew Paul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matthew Paul » Mon May 04, 2015 5:50 pm

A round of drinks for EVERYONE! ...and I'll throw in a set of golf clubs for Pierre. That was the ticket! XFburn was a simple program to use and even better for a Linux Newbie to follow. The next step is finding instructions on the correct way to boot this burned DVD to setup the program without losing the present one I'm using. It's the only connection I have to these wonderful people at the moment. Again... a BIG thanks to all! :D

WharfRat wrote:Can I see what you have in your Download folder :?:

ls -lh ~/Downloads/linuxmint*
and

ls -lh /dev/cd*
~ $ ls -lh ~/Downloads/linuxmint*
-rw-r----- 1 justintime justintime 1.4G May 3 17:43 /home/justintime/Downloads/linuxmint-17.1-mate-nocodecs-32bit.iso.iso
-----------------
~ $ ls -lh /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 4 14:43 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 4 14:43 /dev/cdrw -> sr0

Sure, WharfRat. Hang on and let me find out what comes back: (I don't know why but it seems like Terminal only works if I close the browser first on this version. ....brb

...The results are above, WharfRat. :wink:

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Downloaded ISO to Disc "I'm trying" [SOLVED]

Post by WharfRat » Mon May 04, 2015 6:26 pm

Well, everything looks good. I just wanted to make sure you were attempting to burn an iso file and the symlinks in /dev were correct. XFburn did the job so that's good.
The next step is finding instructions on the correct way to boot this burned DVD to setup the program without losing the present one I'm using.
Are you installing side-by-side or is this a fresh install :?: If it's meant to be a refresh of your current installation you're going to lose everything, so tread carefully :wink:
ImageImage

Matthew Paul
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Downloaded ISO to Disc "I'm trying" [SOLVED]

Post by Matthew Paul » Mon May 04, 2015 6:42 pm

hehe... Here's a good laugh. I set it to reboot the system... did nothing and what pops up? The old XP window. double face palm

I don't want to do a fresh install. My secondary drive D: is where this OS is and all my saved info including MP3s. I don't want to lost that. :x

If I can find a way to format drive C: again and install the new Linux version on there, that would be great. On the other hand, back to the old face that popped up again. Since the XP screen showed up I left it alone to do it's thing. It went to the screen I'm so use to, background and all. You'd a thought I was back in Windows again because the last effort did format all of drive C: and did a fresh install of XP. Yet for some reason, that drive does not want to recognize the network while drive D: seems to.

hee...! The other dilema is when I physically removed the old 160Gb drive that was damaged and unusable, ...according to the system, it had nothing. I even checked here from Linux and it showed 160Gb 0 bytes. So it was empty. It must have something though. When I put the new HDD in nothing recognized my ISP or modem. So I put the old damaged one back in and WAH LAH! Access again!

So yeah, I've pulled a few hairs and am sure a few more will be lost in the future. :lol:

Return to “Newbie Questions”