Files corrupting upon move to EXT3 drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
zombiebeard
Level 1
Level 1

Files corrupting upon move to EXT3 drive

Post by zombiebeard »

Hello, I'm currently dual-booting Windows 7 64-bit and Linux Mint 64-bit but I keep most of my files on 2 internal hard drives that I reformatted to EXT3 (I should have done EXT4, but hindsight and all that). I've tried multiple times to move my music files over, but every time ends with a long, frustrating battle of trying to remove hundreds of corrupted files and me just giving up on listening to music on Linux. I did some investigating and found the files corrupted are the ones that aren't in English, so any Asian, or Cyrillic character-named files are what are creating these empty, unplayable, difficult to delete files.

Is there any quick solution to my problem? Would switching to EXT4 fix this? Do I just have to manually rename all of these files to something in English? Is Windows corrupting the files?

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Files corrupting upon move to EXT3 drive

Post by Fornhamfred »

What format drives are the files on now? Linux can read ntfs formatted drives.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Did you mean ''File names corrupting upon move from EXT3 drive''?
Quick fix; you can use the no-weirdo-character filter built-in to the zip command...

Code: Select all

### Zip the originals without compression into a temporary file
zip -0 tempfile.zip *.mp3
### Unzip the temporary file into the destination folder
unzip tempfile.zip -d $DESTINATION_FOLDER
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

zombiebeard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zombiebeard »

Sorry about the delay I forgot to set up email notifications!

I'm moving them from NTFS to EXT3. Considering Linux can read NTFS though I wonder if I could just grab the files from my Windows partition while I'm on Mint.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Okay, I did not realise you were doing it the difficult way. Windows can't handle EXT, so any problems will be down to whatever extra driver you have fitted. Yes, use Mint to fetch files into Mint.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

zombiebeard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zombiebeard »

Just for archive sake, this totally worked! Now that I know that I could've done it this way, It would've saved a lot of time. Thanks so much!

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

On systems with both windows and linux installed I always have a partition formatted as ntfs so that I can save all my data there. This allows me to access any data from both Windows and Linux. It also makes backing up easier as there is only one data source.

Return to “Newbie Questions”