SOLVED USB Stick Persistence HOME Directory low on memory

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED USB Stick Persistence HOME Directory low on memory

Post by sunsatori » Mon May 11, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks for reading. (see included screen shot for fast info)

USB, 30Gig, LM17
Installed using unetbootin.
FAT32 partition, 29.8 giB
LM17 says it is using 6.giB
Free Space 23.72giB
Home directory says it has 161mb free space. Generates "low memory warning"

How come the Home Directory can't see and use the rest of the memory on the can B stick?

File permissions?

How can I expand the memory size/use of the Home Directory? :)
home.png
Last edited by sunsatori on Sat May 16, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: HOME Directory says low on memory

Post by Mute Ant » Mon May 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Your whole Mint lives inside a persistent file called /cdrom/casper-rw, which can be no larger than 4GB on a FAT32 file system. Without rebuilding the system to use a persistent partition instead of a persistent file, you can relieve the pressure by using Open-As-Root on /cdrom/ and moving finished Mint data into folders there. Your Live Session user [and Windows] will be able to read them, and you can make shortcuts to them, but only root will be able to write to them.

With your home folder stuff moved into /cdrom/ you can add a second persistent file called /cdrom/home-rw That will use another 4GB of the stick just for your home, activated next boot. You lose access to your existing home; you have to start again with an 'empty' user and copy all that /cdrom/ stuff back. It's easy to do from a running Live-Persistent session...

Code: Select all

### Duplicate casper-rw as home-rw
sudo cp /cdrom/casper-rw /cdrom/home-rw
### Format home-rw
sudo mkfs.ext4 /cdrom/home-rw
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Tue May 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Very nice reply and directions. Thank you.

If I decide to flattend the USB Stick and start over with a new LM17 install, do you know if Unetbootin is going to offer me a chance to create the Persistent File that will use all 30GiB of the memory on the stick? My memory tells me I could not choose other than FAT32 and 4 GiB. (not sayin that is correct, just my recall from 6 months ago).

If not, then I try to add 4 giB (as directed) at a time until out of memory? Or, will I can I only add the new Home directory one time?

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Wed May 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi Mute Ant,

I am giving your directions a try. I got to the formatting part. This is the output. I am rebooting now so see about finding that new cdrom/home-rw directory. Do I have to install ROOT and login to access the new Home-rw directory?

mke2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
/cdrom/home-rw is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
262144 inodes, 1048575 blocks
52428 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=1073741824
32 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8192 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (16384 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Wed May 13, 2015 3:11 pm

I rebooted, the SUDO login screen appears.
Try to login as SUDO, but message says the home directory is not where it used to be. I click on yes, to proceed, then ok on the next screen which says only ROOT will be able to access Home.
Then I get an error: can't load ICE.authority. The only button is to "logout".
Back to SUDO login page.
Its a circle. I can't login to LM17 Cinnamon desktop.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Wed May 13, 2015 3:39 pm

My casper finds an empty /home/ and builds a new live-session user. Try logging in to a CTRL+ALT+F4 console as user mint with just <enter> as the password. If you get in, the startx command will launch the GUI, and then the mdmsetup command lets you tweak it.

If you can plug the USB into another machine, deleting or renaming the home-rw file puts you back where you started.

The rw init=/bin/bash kernel argument trick can be used to set a password for root.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Thu May 14, 2015 9:22 am

Thank you for keeping up with the Topic.

Alas, I punted early on and have proceeded to flatten and reinstall on the USB stick.

Unetbootin now has a way to choose 9999mb of persistence. So, I am trying to format the Stick in EXT4 (in hopes that it will allow that 10giB, verses FAT32 with only works for 4giB) and then creating from an iso of LM17 from my harddrive (with LM17 on board).

If you know of any pending train wrecks with that approach, please advise !

PS: I have tried this twice so far. Each time, upon reboot and choosing to load LM17 from the GRUB menu, it returns that the "kernel is corrupt".

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Thu May 14, 2015 12:26 pm

UPDATE: that did not work.

The install was successful on the 32giB USB stick (formatted to EXT4 before install)
But it only left 985mb of free space in the Home Directory.

Not even enough to run update and install the packages.

I am now trying a FAT32 format of the 32giB USB drive and install.

I hope to at least have enough free space to run update, add Chrome.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu May 14, 2015 1:09 pm

I might have missed something but... why not just do a regular installation to the USB device in question? If you do it this way, you will be able to use the whole capacity of the device for the installation (minus whatever you use for swap). If you do this, just MAKE SURE that you put the boot loader (GRUB) on the device you are installing to and NOT on the HD.

P.S.: 32 GB is plenty of space for a Mint installation on a USB stick. My current LM17 office production laptop is using less than 17 GB and that includes 4 GB of data, a few of my favorite packages (including Google Earth), AND a 5 GB swap partition!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 pm

I always thought to install on a USB stick you needed to use Unetbootin to make it bootable.

If I am wrong, I have been wasting a lot of time !

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu May 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Sorry for that...

To do a "regular" USB installation (i.e to install a full bore, running, fully functional version of Linux Mint)) I use 2 USB sticks. One is a bootable Live Mint USB (I use a 4GB stick - you already know how to make one) and the other is the target for the installation. Boot the Live USB and when you get to a desktop, plug in the other USB (32GB). Then click the install icon and walk thru the installation routine. Be very careful when you get to the page where you tell the install routine where to put the installation... chose something else and then configure the location of the installation... choose the 32GB USB and configure partitions like usual. At the bottom of that window, you have to tell the install routine where to but the boot loader (GRUB). BE SURE to put GRUB on the 32GB USB stick NOT on the HD. Continue with the rest of the installation configuration and you will have a real Mint installation on the 32GB USB stick that will behave as if it were on your HD (except it isn't)...

Does that make sense???

Be very careful doing this if you have never done it before. Some would suggest disconnecting the HD in the machine for the installation to be absolutely sure that nothing is written to the HD. After the installation, when asked, select continue testing... and then shut down from the desktop. Safely re-connect the HD and you are ready to rock 'n' roll...

If you have any questions, post here.

Good luck and enjoy the Mint on a stick... :mrgreen:

Image Image

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Thu May 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Interesting idea(s).

I have a dual boot laptop, win7 and LM17, and it has an optical drive. I have an Live DVD burned.

Question: Substitute that for the 4GB USB Stick?

And yes, a crystal clear idea of the partitions on my HD, comes with the territory.

I don't remember seeing a choice of where to install GRUB during the LIVE install. But I can slow down at look closer.

May be doable!

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Thu May 14, 2015 7:20 pm

@reorx

If you are willing to list out the partitions that I would create during the install, I would appreciate it.

Into which partition would the GRUB package be installed?

I have 32Gib on the Stick.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu May 14, 2015 8:06 pm

sunsatori wrote:Interesting idea(s).

I have a dual boot laptop, win7 and LM17, and it has an optical drive. I have an Live DVD burned.

Question: Substitute that for the 4GB USB Stick?
Any Live bootable medium will do. The performance is better with a USB but a DVD works just fine... :mrgreen:
sunsatori wrote:I don't remember seeing a choice of where to install GRUB during the LIVE install. But I can slow down at look closer.

May be doable!
I don't know if you have done an actual installation... you have created a Live Mint medium that is bootable but is not actually an installation... What you have created is an installation medium.

In terms of partitioning, all you will want/need is 2 partitions - 1 is / and the other is swap... before talking about sizes, let me ask a few questions...

1) Is this a desktop or a laptop?
2) Do you want/need the ability to hibernate? if you plan to move the USB around and boot multiple computers with it (at different times) - do you want the ability to hibernate on any of them?
3) How much RAM in the machine? and if you plan to move the USB around, what is the smallest RAM size of any of the logical candidates that might be booting with the USB stick?

Image Image

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Thu May 14, 2015 8:19 pm

@reorx
1) Is this a desktop or a laptop?
2) Do you want/need the ability to hibernate? if you plan to move the USB around and boot multiple computers with it (at different times) - do you want the ability to hibernate on any of them?
3) How much RAM in the machine? and if you plan to move the USB around, what is the smallest RAM size of any of the logical candidates that might be booting with the USB stick?
I am on a laptop.
No hibernation needed. USB will be used on a laptop with a dead HD.
RAM=1 giB
If it gets loaded on anything else, there will be more RAM, not less.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu May 14, 2015 9:12 pm

swap partition - go with 1 GB and / will be the rest of the disk.

The way I would do this is >>>
On any computer you like - boot the live medium. Then plug in the 32GB USB that you will be installing to.
Start Gparted and access the 32 GB USB stick. First remove (delete) the FAT32 partition (make sure there is no valuable data on the USB stick!). Then create a 1 GB swap partition (at the end of the stick). Next create an ext 4 partition that is the rest of the disk. Then apply the changes and wait for the operation to finish. Exit Gparted and then safely remove the 32 GB USB stick... and then shut down the system.

To do the actual installation to the USB stick, I would use the laptop with the dead HD (if you can) - for 2 reasons:
1) You can't harm a dead HD -and-
2) The install routine will detect the hardware on the machine (that you most want to run right) during the installation and install/use appropriate driver(s) where applicable.

Steps;
1) Boot the computer with the bootable Live medium.
2) Test drive the Live medium to make sure everything works to your liking. If so, plug in the 32 GB USB stick.
3) On the desktop, there will be an "Install" icon - double click it to start the install routine.
4) When you get to this page, choose "Something else"
install3.png
<click to enlarge>
5) Configure / to the ext4 partition. I don't think you need to configure swap, the install routine will do that automatically. Double click the ext4 partition and select the mount point as / and check the format box. It'll look something like this >
install4a.png
6) The GRUB install location selection is highlighted below.
install4b2.png
7) Finish up with the rest of the install
8. When the installation is finished, continue testing to exit the routine.
9) Once everything is closed, you can shut down like usual.
10) Remove both UFDs.
11) Insert the 32 GB USB stick and boot the computer (cross your fingers)...
12) Post back with results.

NB: Be VERY careful if you do this on a computer with an attached and functioning HD. The Mint warranty doesn't cover data loss (or anything else for that matter)...

Image Image

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Thu May 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Wow, those are fantastic directions to follow. A very sincere thank you.

I am going to sleep on it. Not because of mistrust, just plain ole fatigue.

I will revisit tomorrow.

The dead HD laptop is not here. I would have to go live and just keep my eyes open. It seems straight forward.

I went ahead and created a 4 giB USB Live install, as you recommended. I will use that.

Open Source or Death!

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu May 14, 2015 10:02 pm

sunsatori wrote:Open Source or Death!
Be careful what you ask for... :lol:

Image Image

sunsatori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sunsatori » Fri May 15, 2015 11:28 am

Ok, cant manage to change the EXT4 into /

some action items appeared during install. Made the best choices, I thought.

I can't proceed with the install without changing the EXT4 into /home.

Please see screen shots
1.png
2.png
3.png
3.png

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Fri May 15, 2015 12:41 pm

sunsatori wrote:Ok, cant manage to change the EXT4 into /
OK, it looks as though you figured out that you have to unmount the partitions to install to them... In addition, you figured out how to install GRUB to the USB stick (SDC)... so far so good...

If you look at step 5 in my instructions above, it says to double click the partition (green bar) and a box will pop up (small box in the screen shot) allowing you to select a mount point... it is in a pull down menu - in my example above, the selection in the screenshot is /home... does that NOT work??? :?:

Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”