Partition ownership

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Partition ownership

Post by locutus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 am

On my laptop, I have a separate partition (fat32 or vfat) for storage that is owned by root. That's a pain! Using krusader in user mode always results in "permssion denied", so I have to start krusader in root mode, transfer the file or whatever, then close it. But if I try to change permissions to myself, either using krusader - root mode and opening the permissions tab and changing them, or using sudo chown, both result in "# chown: changing ownership of `sda3': Operation not permitted".

How can I change the ownership of the entire permission? Or is it because it's a fat32 partition that I can't?

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Partition ownership

Post by DataMan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:41 am

I think that if you change the ownership and group to your user id, you'll be ok. If you use the root-mode for Krusader, you should be able to accomplish this under the properties. Of course, you could also do this in command mode by

Code: Select all

$sudo chgrp /media/somedirectory myuserid
$sudo chown /media/somedirectory myuserid
Hope this helps.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Same result: "Operation not permitted". That was done on the command line. In krusader any changes I make simply do not take hold.

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Make sure you're using the root mode for Krusader (red icon).

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 pm

I am. I have to use krusader root mode to write to the partition. Krusader user mode gets "permission denied" at every attempt to write to it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”