recording TV to pc using linux(solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gibbsre
Level 1
Level 1

recording TV to pc using linux(solved)

Post by gibbsre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Is it possible, and if so, how is it accomplished, and what do I need.
Thanks for any help, or advise. Please keep it simple for a simple minded man. :D
I am more than a newbie, and the lingo sometimes escapes me. :lol:
Last edited by gibbsre on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learning stops at death. Learn all you can, and use what you learn.

kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Re: recording TV to pc using linux

Post by kwisher » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:07 pm

It is very possible with Linux. Have you heard of MythTV? It is a full blown media center & DVR system for Linux. First you will need to have the correct type of TV-tuner card for the type of signal you have. The card will also have to be supported by Linux. Here is a good starting point for info:

http://www.mythtv.org/
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)

gibbsre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gibbsre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. I took a quick look, and it seems myth tv is for watching TV on your pc, and I am really more interested in recording direct from my own TV, not so much actually watching TV on my pc. I will check it out further and see if it is something that would do what I am interested in doing. From the looks of what I saw though, it is far, far over my head, and capabilities at this point in time, and I would most likely screw it all up with all the compiling and such, but thank you anyway for the info.

newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:32 am

Take a look at this:

http://blip.tv/file/1428937

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:57 am

kwisher wrote:It is very possible with Linux. Have you heard of MythTV? It is a full blown media center & DVR system for Linux. First you will need to have the correct type of TV-tuner card for the type of signal you have. The card will also have to be supported by Linux. Here is a good starting point for info:

Will MythTV record DVDs to a hard drive? I've got some and I want to back them up. I've found some programs for Windows that will do this. But, I want to try and get away from the beast! :P

kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwisher » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 am

jhouse59 wrote:
kwisher wrote:It is very possible with Linux. Have you heard of MythTV? It is a full blown media center & DVR system for Linux. First you will need to have the correct type of TV-tuner card for the type of signal you have. The card will also have to be supported by Linux. Here is a good starting point for info:

Will MythTV record DVDs to a hard drive? I've got some and I want to back them up. I've found some programs for Windows that will do this. But, I want to try and get away from the beast! :P
Yes, there are numerous software packages that will rip dvd's to about any file format you wish. I use OGMrip to do the ripping and use MythTV to watch them. You can also use mplayer, vlc, toem, etc. to view them fullscreen on your TV or pc monitor.

kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwisher » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:58 am

gibbsre wrote:Thanks for the reply. I took a quick look, and it seems myth tv is for watching TV on your pc, and I am really more interested in recording direct from my own TV, not so much actually watching TV on my pc. I will check it out further and see if it is something that would do what I am interested in doing. From the looks of what I saw though, it is far, far over my head, and capabilities at this point in time, and I would most likely screw it all up with all the compiling and such, but thank you anyway for the info.
MythTV is also a DVR (digital video recorder). You can install MythTV onto Linux Mint through the repositories. As far as I know you cannot record TV from your TV, you need a tuner card in which your tv feed is connected to.

gibbsre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gibbsre » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:28 pm

kwisher wrote:
gibbsre wrote:Thanks for the reply. I took a quick look, and it seems myth tv is for watching TV on your pc, and I am really more interested in recording direct from my own TV, not so much actually watching TV on my pc. I will check it out further and see if it is something that would do what I am interested in doing. From the looks of what I saw though, it is far, far over my head, and capabilities at this point in time, and I would most likely screw it all up with all the compiling and such, but thank you anyway for the info.
MythTV is also a DVR (digital video recorder). You can install MythTV onto Linux Mint through the repositories. As far as I know you cannot record TV from your TV, you need a tuner card in which your tv feed is connected to.
This is what I was trying to find out. I probably worded it wrong. I don't have the funds for tuner cards, and the like, I was just wondering if there were any kind of cables or anything that would bring my TV picture over to the pc so I could save a movie to burn or whatever.
That myth thing looks really cool, but I watched the video that was suggested, and I am so far out of that guys league, it sounded as if he was speaking a complete different language. My knowledge level about Linux, or even windows is no where in the same place as any of these things. I manage to install the simpler things, and get by, but I am certainly not able, knowledge wise to do many of the things I see, or even read, about configuring, compiling and the like. I like trying to do things with the computer, but I am 62, and most of this stuff is way over my head, and education. Thanks to all who replied though. It makes for interesting reading.

Return to “Newbie Questions”