Partition Sizes for Mint 17 Installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
crboone
Level 1
Level 1

Partition Sizes for Mint 17 Installation

Post by crboone »

I see that the minimum disk size for Mint is 6GB with 20GB recommended. If I use an external drive for my data files, how long would it take before that 20GB is maxed out from software installs (generally, of course -- I realize it depends on how much software is installed, but would it fill up quickly like Windows?). Also, if I have 8GB RAM, is it really recommended that I have a separate 12GB partition just for that, with the minimum for the OS being only 6GB? I have reinstalled Windows on my internal SSD because I couldn't get networking to work properly with Mint (and I really need that functionality) -- but I'd still like to dual-boot with Linux. But with the SSD I do have limited space.

Thanks for any insights!

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Partition Sizes for Mint 17 Installation

Post by Flemur »

Here's how much disk space is used for full installs of Mint (sda1), Debian 8 and Xbuntu, including .deb files from updates (usually close to 1G of those...)

Code: Select all

df
/dev/sda1       20030100  5150576  13839000  28% /
/dev/sda7      241773248 39141472 190327276  18% /mnt/DATA
/dev/sda2       20029680  4695916  14293260  25% /mnt/DEBI
/dev/sda3       20029308  3667604  15321220  20% /mnt/UBUN
IOW, about 25% of 20G, each. All include /home directory; non-OS data is on DATA partition.
Also, if I have 8GB RAM, is it really recommended that I have a separate 12GB partition just for that, with the minimum for the OS being only 6GB?
Only if you want to hibernate. I have 4G mem and don't use a swap partition most of the time, or have one that's a few hundred Meg (< 1G).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

crboone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crboone »

Excellent, thank you!

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

crboone wrote:I see that the minimum disk size for Mint is 6GB with 20GB recommended. If I use an external drive for my data files, how long would it take before that 20GB is maxed out from software installs (generally, of course -- I realize it depends on how much software is installed, but would it fill up quickly like Windows?).
I'm running LM17C64. This is what my HD partitions looks like >>>
&lt;Click to enlarge&gt;
<Click to enlarge>
My / partition contains the entire installation (except for /boot which is ~140 MB). My /home folder is 17.3 GB so the rest of the installation is ~6GB
crboone wrote:...Also, if I have 8GB RAM, is it really recommended that I have a separate 12GB partition just for that...
Are you talking about a swap partition??? If so, you only need a swap partition a little larger than your RAM space IFF you want or need to hibernate. Otherwise, a 1 GB swap should be fine with 8GB of RAM...
Last edited by Reorx on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

crboone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crboone »

So the issue is really how much I store in /home (including Dropbox). That makes sense.

Yes, I was wondering about the swap partition. I won't need hibernate so I'm glad 1G is enough. I didn't see that distinction previously that the 1.5x recommended RAM was for hibernation. Sounds like I could just create a 24 G install with a 1 G swap and be good to go.

Thanks Reorx.

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

crboone wrote:...Sounds like I could just create a 24 G install with a 1 G swap and be good to go.
Yep!
crboone wrote:Thanks Reorx.
You're welcome... Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:

P.S.: If you are installing on a desktop, you can put the OS on SDA (your SSD) and create a data partition on a second internal drive (SDB) - if you have the skill set to install an additional set of spinning platters, you can do it for very low cost... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”