Upgrading to 17.1 - and to 17.2 Still Fails

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrading to 17.1 - and to 17.2 Still Fails

Post by hpmc13 »

Back when Rebecca was released, I upgraded through the Update Manager and all seemed to go well. When Nemo 2.6 was released I wanted to try it so I enabled Romeo in the Sources Manager under System Settings. None of the new changes - Nemo included - would appear.

I finally took a look at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list and found that "qiana" was still showing. I replaced each instance with "rebecca" and found oodles of updates (including Nemo - but also many others.) Now all seems well.

When I did the update from 17 to 17.1 shouldn't that have changed on its own?

The other thing that I'm running into is that the Sources Manager still lists Qiana as my OS - see attached pic.
First line of inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

System:    Host: workpc Kernel: 3.19.8-031908-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
I also run 17 through VB to play around with it and just updated it to 17.2. The Sources Manager shows it as 17.2 Rafeala.

Now I'm unsure if I'm getting the full benefit of 17.1. Any guidance is much appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Last edited by hpmc13 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Upgrading to 17.1

Post by Ceilidh2 »

I don't believe you have 17.1.

Try reading this; http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2725
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Thanks for the reply and link. That's exactly what I did on my regular PC. Update Manager -> Edit -> Upgrade to Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca. As I recall, it downloaded for a while, installed all sorts of things, then I rebooted and it was different. I even got the new wallpapers for Rebecca. If I recall correctly, Nemo updated at that time as well (back when 17.1 first came out.) If I go under Edit in the Update Manager now, there is no option to update.

I changed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list just a couple of days ago to get Romeo to work. Now, I have what appears to be an updated system - all the options under System Settings, for example, are different than before. The Effects setting, for instance, is split into two different tabs, and the customize tab has the little graph boxes that show how each behaves.

I just noticed that System Info lists it as 17.1 (attached), it's just the Sources and inxi -Fxz that show it as Qiana. It's almost as if I have but I don't have it!

Thanks again for you reply and help.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Open Software Sources and clk on the reset to defaults there.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Done. I ran update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade and got no results.

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list looks like this, now:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com qiana main upstream import 

deb http://extra.linuxmint.com qiana main

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-updates main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty partner
So, it appears that I have gone backwards. I'll change Qiana back to Rebecca and keep looking. Thanks!
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

one more thing you can try. Open Package Manager, search on "mintupdate" and see if you have version 4.8.4

If not, see if you can install that one.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Thanks, but that's the one I have.

It really does look, for the most part, like I am running Rebecca. I have the new Nemo, the wallpapers, the changes in the settings, etc, etc. It's just those two places (Sources, and inxi -Fxz) that show it as 17. Maybe when 17.2 comes out it will all change.

Thanks again for your help.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Could you check if you have the latest version of mint-info-cinnamon installed?

apt policy mint-info-cinnamon
If it's not the last one, then please, install it.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Thanks for the idea. It appears that I am running the latest. I get the following when I run "apt policy mint-info-cinnamon":

mint-info-cinnamon:
  Installed: 2014.12.12
  Candidate: 2014.12.12
  Version table:
 *** 2014.12.12 0
        700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ rebecca/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
And there again is a reference to Rebecca.

Another oddity is in the first line of inxi -Fxz.

System:    Host: workpc Kernel: 3.19.8-031908-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
It lists the Desktop as "Gnome." Shouldn't that read "Cinnamon?" In my VB version of LM17.2 it reads Cinnamon 2.6.8 for the desktop, and Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela as the Distro.

When I installed 17 it was a clean install, not an in-place upgrade from 16. I'm really starting to wonder what I'm actually running!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Try to reinstall this file. Some of its settings where maybe replaced later during an other upgrade.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Thanks again. Unfortunately, this didn't help. Both Software Sources and inxi -Fxz read as before.

I did notice two things, though. The GRUB menu's first option (that I almost always boot into) reads, in part, "Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon."

Second thing is when I am on the login screen, the session defaults to "Run Xclient Script." I changed this to "Cinnamon" then entered my password. When I press Enter, the session changed back to "Run Xclient Script." In the Login Window options the default session is set to Cinnamon. I seem to recall that changing your session would prompt the question "Do you want to make this change just once or for all sessions?" or something along those lines. It doesn't ask that question.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help.

*Edited to change the GRUB line to 17.1.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Never mind on the session problem. I changed the Login Window theme to something else and got is changed permanently to Cinnamon. Didn't help the original problem, but it's one less thing :D
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Upgrading to 17.1 - and to 17.2 Still Fails

Post by hpmc13 »

I waited to upgrade to 17.2 so that I could do so through the update manager. I just finished and it still sort of failed.

Even after the update (which appeared to go through okay) I had to change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list and replace qiana (it reverted back to that) with rafaela.

I ran update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade and more packages were installed.
Software sources still shows the main mirror as qiana.
System info has updated to "Linux Mint 17.2" Grub also shows 17.2.
inxi -Fxz looks like this:

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: workpc Kernel: 3.19.8-031908-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.11  Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
So, at least the desktop has changed from Ubuntu, but the Distro has not. (Previous inxi screenshot above for comparison.)

I do have the new backgrounds, so something seems to have worked :D

It appears that I am running all of 17.2's software, kernel, I have the backgrounds, etc. As long as I remember to keep an eye on the sources.list it might run okay. I really do not want to reinstall.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.
Attachments
backgr.jpg
Running LM 20 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”