[SOLVED] Mint 17.2 Cinnamon takes long to load

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint 17.2 Cinnamon takes long to load

Post by dsteffenw »

After 25 years on Windows machines I installed my first Linux a couple of days ago. I tried several distributions with live DVDs and/or in the VirtualBox and ended up with Mint 17.2 with the Cinnamon desktop. I could have lived with some others, but this is the one I instantly found both elegant and intuitive.

So far I haven't been disappointed. Most things worked right out of the box. It even instantly recognized my vintage printer. I took a couple of hours to install a newer Ruby version than the one that comes with the download centre (actually the challenge wasn't installing it, but making it available system-wide) and to teach my NTFS data partition (shared with Windows) to find the trash. And at one point I seem to have killed the boot manager and needed to reinstall it from the DVD to get back into the system. There was some other tweaking necessary and some things need getting used to, but with the help of the many excellent tutorials and discussions on the internet nothing presented any real problems so far, and I am fairly certain I will become a happy Linux user with some practice.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that the desktop takes a really long time to load. I have Win7 and Linux Mint side by side on the SSD and can compare directly. From the boot selection screen, Windows takes 17 seconds to load. With Linux it's 40 to 50 seconds of staring at a black screen. In comparison, this feels like ages. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but I wonder if there's anything I may be doing wrong, or anything I could do to speed the loading up? I read quite a number of tips and discussions on this issue, and while others too mentioned rather long loading times, mine seems excessive.

Here is a snapshot of the system as per inxi. (I hope I am doing this the right way). I would appreciate any suggestions.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Officinalis Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.8  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: H87 Performance Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.50 date: 07/03/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Xeon CPU E3-1240 v3 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 3452.992 MHz 2: 2507.765 MHz 3: 2005.070 MHz 4: 3223.226 MHz 5: 3509.703 MHz 6: 3404.250 MHz 7: 3638.398 MHz 8: 3520.726 MHz
           CPU Flags: abm acpi aes aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon avx avx2 bmi1 bmi2 bts clflush 
           cmov constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts eagerfpu epb ept erms est f16c 
           flexpriority fma fpu fsgsbase fxsr hle ht ida invpcid lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor movbe 
           msr mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl nx pae pat pbe pcid pclmulqdq pdcm pdpe1gb pebs pge pln pni 
           popcnt pse pse36 pts rdrand rdtscp rep_good rtm sep smep smx ss sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 
           ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc tsc_adjust tsc_deadline_timer vme vmx vnmi vpid x2apic 
           xsave xsaveopt xtopology xtpr 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 770] 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE4 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-3: Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 driver: USB Audio 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Ethernet Connection I217-V driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2740.6GB (21.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT240M50 size: 240.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: 5000BMV_External size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 29G used: 5.2G (20%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 9.3G used: 1009M (12%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 12.88GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 38.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 213 Uptime: 1:18 Memory: 804.5/7904.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 
Last edited by dsteffenw on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon takes long to load

Post by hpmc13 »

I have something of the same problem - in fact, some of the suggestions and tips may have come from some of my original threads. However, I too, dual-boot Win 7 and LM 17.1 Cinnamon, and I have found that Windows takes about 10 seconds longer than Mint.

I encrypted my home directory when I installed, and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with problems that I am having. Did you encrypt your installation?

Although I can't really offer any suggestions to help you - it certainly appears that you have a good PC as fas as hardware goes - I definitely think that your question has merit. If anything, Mint should boot as fast Win7 (generally speaking.)

Good luck!
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsteffenw »

hpmc13 wrote:I encrypted my home directory when I installed, and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with problems that I am having. Did you encrypt your installation?
I didn't. I do wonder if the shared partition is indeed the problem though.
hpmc13 wrote:Although I can't really offer any suggestions to help you - it certainly appears that you have a good PC as fas as hardware goes - I definitely think that your question has merit. If anything, Mint should boot as fast Win7 (generally speaking.)
It's a very fast computer, just over a year old. I specifically built it for video editing (that's why I'm keeping Windows as well). The only hardware problem I could think of would be drivers for the video card?

Generally, Linux Mint is extremely fast once it has fully loaded (except that the software centre takes a couple of seconds to load when I start it). That's why I think the problem should be in the initial loading process for the desktop, specifically? Other than that, I have no performance issues.
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

You might try installing bootchart to get a chart of how long each boot process takes. I've never used it myself, but I've seen it mentioned here on the forums a number of times. You can find bootchart in Synaptic or Software Manager, whichever you prefer.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
iowabeakster
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iowabeakster »

That does take a long time to load. Your hardware is certainly top-notch. I've got machines that will load faster than that with traditional hard drives, and one of them is an old turd that is over 10 years old (and hard drive is only 3 gbps).

And to make it even more confounding, I always use the proprietary Nvidia drivers. I see you are using the open-source 'nouveau' driver. That is the default driver. I really only use the nouveau driver upon first installing a new version of a linux OS. Then I usually switch to a proprietary Nvidia driver (much better performance) right after installing the OS. Although the performance is better with a proprietary driver it does seem to slow down the boot time. Until I install a proprietary video driver, the boot time with the nouveau driver seems really zippy to me (although I've never timed it to compare boot times).

I see you have another hard drive, besides the SSD. I see an additional USB hard drive too. I also see a web-cam. I don't think the hard drives should cause much of a slow down. But I wonder about that web cam (does it work in linux?). Maybe try disconnecting non-essential hardware and test? Is that intel sound card integrated, or is that a PCI device?

Disconnecting stuff won't 'fix' the slow boot, but might help you determine if there is a hardware piece that the kernel is struggling to find and load a driver appropriate for that piece of hardware. If that's the case, then maybe some more helpful suggestions can be made.
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

How many file systems are being checked during boot? The default is to have /etc/fstab entries that check each file system in sequence...for example...

/dev/sda1  /      ext4  rw,noatime  0  1
/dev/sda2  /home  ext4  rw,noatime  0  2
The hard disk is still the slowest component...you might change to simultaneous checks...

/dev/sda1  /      ext4  rw,noatime  0  1
/dev/sda2  /home  ext4  rw,noatime  0  1
...or no boot-checks at all and rely on the automatic check-after-X-days setting inside the ext file system.

/dev/sda1  /      ext4  rw,noatime  0  0
/dev/sda2  /home  ext4  rw,noatime  0  0
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

dsteffenw wrote:The only hardware problem I could think of would be drivers for the video card?

...except that the software centre takes a couple of seconds to load when I start it).
I had occasion recently to remove the Nvidia drivers and this made no difference in the boot time.
Software Center takes a couple of seconds for me, too, and it always has. I think that that's just the nature of that beast.
jimallyn wrote:You might try installing bootchart to get a chart of how long each boot process takes. I've never used it myself, but I've seen it mentioned here on the forums a number of times. You can find bootchart in Synaptic or Software Manager, whichever you prefer.
Good call. Once installed, you should find a .tgz and .png file in /var/log/bootchart. Open the .png to see what's loading, when, and how long it takes.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

I'm wondering, too, where the longest load time is: before the login screen? After the login screen? Or split equally between the two?
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsteffenw »

hpmc13 wrote:I'm wondering, too, where the longest load time is: before the login screen? After the login screen? Or split equally between the two?
The login screen comes instantly after the boot selection screen. All the waiting before a black screen is after the login.
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsteffenw »

jimallyn wrote:You might try installing bootchart to get a chart of how long each boot process takes. I've never used it myself, but I've seen it mentioned here on the forums a number of times. You can find bootchart in Synaptic or Software Manager, whichever you prefer.
Found it, installed it, am looking forward to seeing what it says, and will report back!
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsteffenw »

Mute Ant wrote:How many file systems are being checked during boot? The default is to have /etc/fstab entries that check each file system in sequence...for example...
This is my fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=cc79f547-c9e6-47fa-846d-d467dbbdb0eb /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=816bd9e7-c7b8-4a17-ae3a-5e180215dfad /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
# swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=6a5f3e86-fbd9-41f4-845f-639b56279ef9 none            swap    sw              0       0
# shared data partition on /dev/sdb1
UUID=A4B6F940B6F91390 /mnt/data ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000	0	0
I only messed with it twice; to get the NTFS partition running in the first place, and then to teach it to find the system trash.
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsteffenw »

iowabeakster wrote:And to make it even more confounding, I always use the proprietary Nvidia drivers. I see you are using the open-source 'nouveau' driver. That is the default driver. I really only use the nouveau driver upon first installing a new version of a linux OS. Then I usually switch to a proprietary Nvidia driver (much better performance) right after installing the OS. Although the performance is better with a proprietary driver it does seem to slow down the boot time. Until I install a proprietary video driver, the boot time with the nouveau driver seems really zippy to me (although I've never timed it to compare boot times).
So graphics performance vs. boot speed, is it? Yes, it's the default driver; I just haven't had the time yet to replace it with the proprietary one, and since I can't do video editing (or gaming, not that I'd have the time anyway ...) on Linux performance doesn't matter a lot.
iowabeakster wrote:I see you have another hard drive, besides the SSD. I see an additional USB hard drive too. I also see a web-cam. I don't think the hard drives should cause much of a slow down. But I wonder about that web cam (does it work in linux?). Maybe try disconnecting non-essential hardware and test? Is that intel sound card integrated, or is that a PCI device?
I can certainly unplug that web cam. The external HD is for my daily data backup, so I need it. The sound card is internal.
iowabeakster wrote:Disconnecting stuff won't 'fix' the slow boot, but might help you determine if there is a hardware piece that the kernel is struggling to find and load a driver appropriate for that piece of hardware. If that's the case, then maybe some more helpful suggestions can be made.
Very good, I'll give that a try.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

dsteffenw wrote:
hpmc13 wrote:I'm wondering, too, where the longest load time is: before the login screen? After the login screen? Or split equally between the two?
The login screen comes instantly after the boot selection screen. All the waiting before a black screen is after the login.
That's where it happens for me, too. Bootchart may give you some clues.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
SleeperService
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 17.2 Cinnamon takes long to load

Post by SleeperService »

This may or may not be helpful but I don't see that anyone mentioned it yet... 17.2 is still a Release Candidate, the current stable Mint release is 17.1.

It might be worth trying 17.1 to see if your still have the same issues. My install goes from poweroff to ready desktop in under 10 seconds.
Think Penguin Korora, i5-4200U, Intel HD 4400, 4gb DDR3, Crucial MX100 SSD, Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsteffenw »

SleeperService wrote:This may or may not be helpful but I don't see that anyone mentioned it yet... 17.2 is still a Release Candidate, the current stable Mint release is 17.1.
I hadn't realized that. I suppose I just saw the announcement on the Mint start page and thought it was official.
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsteffenw »

iowabeakster wrote:But I wonder about that web cam
And you were quite right to! Just unplugging the web cam brought the time from boot selection screen to desktop down to 18 seconds. Repeatable. Only 1 second longer than Windows takes on the same machine, and honestly my more "secure" Linux password may account for much of that second ...

Since the web cam is absolutely non-essential this is a good enough solution for me (though I do wonder what I would do if I would indeed need the web cam?).

Thank you a lot, and thanks everyone for their helpful and informative suggestions. It was also fascinating to look at a boot chart (even if I don't pretend I understand it.)
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 17.2 Cinnamon takes long to load

Post by hpmc13 »

Congrats!

Although I have to admit that I was hoping for a solution that would help me with my own slow boot. Maybe I'll unplug everything and give that a go.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
dsteffenw
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 17.2 Cinnamon takes long to load

Post by dsteffenw »

hpmc13 wrote:Although I have to admit that I was hoping for a solution that would help me with my own slow boot. Maybe I'll unplug everything and give that a go.
Well, good luck to you, and I hope it's something equally simple as in my case!

(Granted, the solution of my case is unlikely to be helpful to a lot of other people, unless they too have a USB device they can do without ...)
iowabeakster
Level 3
Level 3

Post by iowabeakster »

dsteffenw wrote:

Since the web cam is absolutely non-essential this is a good enough solution for me (though I do wonder what I would do if I would indeed need the web cam?).
It's probably not a solution that you'd like (I wouldn't). I've got a really inexpensive Logitech (30-40 bucks) that works wonderfully for what I use it for (video calling). The people I have talked to with it, tell me the picture looks great. There is something called the UVC standard.

I don't know what all it is about. Here's something (I have no idea if this page is maintained, or what). It says it can't take still images, but I seem to be able to do that fine. :?

http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

And pretty much any webcam that uses that standard works fine in Linux, and the driver is included with the standard kernel (no driver installation needed). Setting it up is easier than can be imagined. You just plug in the cam. The hardest part is clicking the sound icon (volume indicator) on the desktop panel, select sound 'sound settings' and choosing the webcam microphone for the sound input.

Return to “Newbie Questions”