Adobe FlashPlayer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bachcole
Level 3
Level 3

Adobe FlashPlayer

Post by bachcole »

Some program didn't like my version of Adobe Flashplayer, and told me to download a newer version. When I tried, I got this error message:

"Unknown channel 'rebecca-partner'

The channel 'rebecca-partner' is not known"

I have gotten this several times.

I had 4 choices to download before I got to this error message, and I choose the "APT for ubantu" one. There was also a "YUM for Linux" and two others that did not seem very promising.

Understand that I have a new computer and I just installed Linux Mint 17.1.
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Adobe FlashPlayer

Post by badbodh »

Tell us which 'some program' didn't like your flash version in which 'some website'. Where from are you trying to download flash. Screenshots will also help.

First step

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
to refresh your repositories.

Nuke option - open synaptic manager. Search 'adobe-flash-properties-gtk' or 'adobe-flash-properties-kde' depending on whether you are using cinnamon/MATE or KDE flavour of Mint. Install it. Your flash plugin will automatically update if needed.

Alternatively you can use apt-get to install one of the above packages.

sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-properties-gtk
or

sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-properties-kde

If your 'some program' is steam-client. Package 'mint-flashplugin-steam' needs to be updated. If no update is available, start crying :mrgreen:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.
salt_water_crocodile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by salt_water_crocodile »

Similar problem here. Running a recently downloaded Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. Flash player is disabled by default.

It seems Firefox disabled Adobe version 11.2.202.424 and below by default. The problem seems to be written down here: https://blocklist.addons.mozilla.org/en ... ocked/p796

Adobe has a newer version: 11.2.202.460. But selecting "APT for ubuntu 10.04+" seems to return the error "Unknown channel 'rebecca-partner'. The channel 'rebecca-partner' is not known"

Help!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Strange.... I have Mint 17.1 as well, but in my Firefox the Adobe Flash plugin is at 11.2.202.460, as it should be. Came with the regular updates, like it should. No extra measures needed.

So you have a weird problem. Check your update mirror server (maybe switch to another), or consider installing Chrome as workaround:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... index.html
Chrome has its own Flash Player on board.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
XE1UFO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XE1UFO »

I also have both FlashPlayer and PepperPlayer installed. Suddenly neither work any more. And I have been on Mint since version 13, and before that, Ubuntu since version 9, without problems with the FlashPlayer. I would love to know why it suddenly no longer works. I have tried Firefox, Chrome and Chromium, with NO success.

Also, at the most honorable badbodh's suggestion, I did this, without success:

sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-properties-gtk

If you can get live radio link to work (http://www.wbap.com), please let me know:

http://player.listenlive.co/23171

Thanks in advance!
:?
Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

well, no video, no radio... looks like i am going back to sinew&sodacans mixed-in with some smoke signals, right? :D
everything is cool though, i got my bug-out bag stuffed with twinkies and cupcakes. :)

no but seriously, the last time i tried an up-to-date chromium, flash/shock whatever, worked fine. just can't believe firefox dropped-out of the mess.
bachcole
Level 3
Level 3

Adobe FlashPlayer

Post by bachcole »

I see that you folks are struggling with trying to get Adobe FlashPlayer to work. Instead of complaining, I will be as helpful as possible:

The latest version still crashes my system within minutes.

For me, the best site that screws things up is www.lexulous.com. On some of your versions I was able to play scrabble there if I did nothing else. But if I try to listen to music on YouTube or most anything else, it crashes. It crashed so hard once that it deleted my one and only panel and I had to struggle for a while to find how to replace it.

A rather clever but necessarily temporary version did not allow anything to play unless OK'ed by the user. I like that because I didn't have to see and hear the crapware from advertisers.

Roger Bird, aka bachcole
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

If Flashplayer crashes your system, take the browser´s hardware acceleration off. An another reason for crashing can be Chrome´s background programs, whose can influence to an another browser even Chrome is not running but its background programs are running.

Return to “Newbie Questions”