Cinnamon Typing Window Feature

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jastombaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon Typing Window Feature

Post by jastombaugh » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 pm

While using the Cinnamon desktop (7.1 rebecca) or even the nemo file browser, I cant help but notice if I just start typing, a small window appears on the lower-right hand corner of the window (or desktop) that 'prints everything I am typing. However, when I press enter/return, nothing seems to happen. What is this 'feature'? I've tried to search/google it, however, the way I describe it doesn't seem to ring any keyword-bells. I've read the user's guide for Linux Mint, and this feature isn't covered.

It doesn't seem to be a 'search' tool, and it doesn't seem to be a command-line tool. Its driving me crazy not knowing/understanding what it is, what it's for, and how to use it!!!

Pretty sure this will qualify for a newbie question, so thank you, in advance, for your graciousness in answering and setting me straight.

-jastombaugh

JOPETA
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cinnamon Typing Window Feature

Post by JOPETA » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi jAstombaugh!
Will you, please, take a snapshot (Menu>Accesories>screenshot) selecting area you want to show and post back using Upload attachment (maybe need to change image name)?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cinnamon Typing Window Feature

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:59 am

It is a search function. But as long as there is no matching object on the desktop, obviously nothing can be found. It does only open, as long as the desktop (and not any window) has the focus.

It works this way: You enter the beginning of the name of an existing object on your desktop, this object will get marked and if you press the enter key it will get opened.

Return to “Newbie Questions”