how to install "copy" cloud storage SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

how to install "copy" cloud storage SOLVED

Post by pensioner77 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:52 am

I have downloaded this programme with Archive manager and the file appears in my 'name' folder under the computer heading. How do I actually install it?
Last edited by pensioner77 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to install "copy" cloud storage

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am

what type of file is it? .iso. .deb .tz?

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:04 am

As far as I can tell it is a tarball.

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 am

pensioner77 wrote:As far as I can tell it is a tarball.
i probably will not get this one correct for you 77, so i won't answer if i don't know. 3rd party programs can be the trickiest of all. there may be unknown dependencies, unexpected breaks, or may even require some additional scripts/code. but the rest of the Forum members would like to see all the folders expanded to files for the best chance of success. please do so and take a screen shot, then add that to your next reply. forgive me, as i have a leyman skillset aswell. i am still challenging myself to understand hierarchy and best location for new file placement, and it is not easy brother, not when the student(me)... mearly clings to scraps of information here and there throughout the internet to learn from. maybe together we can find one of the knowledgable members round-here to help.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:13 am

you R/click on it -> extract the folder. to some location ..
- maybe /usr/lib or just the desktop.
in that folder you click on the copy.com file,
- in a sub-folder, that is depending on whether your PC is X86 or x64 bit.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 am

Easy way I did it was ..... download it, extract it by right clicking and choose 'extract here' - open the x86 folder if you're on a 32bit machine- - (x86_64 for 64bit)
then - - double click the 'gears' icon called ' copy agent ' and follow the prompts to complete the install, it's that easy.............

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks, all seemed to be going OK but after 'signing in ' to the "copy" site and following the prompts. it suddenly said--"Archive type not supported" and I could go no further.

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:25 am

I have know managed to get an icon for "copy" onto both the Desktop and the Flash bar but when I try to open either I get the same 'archive
does not recognise it " When I downloaded should I not have it saved to archive manager? If not what should I have done? If that is the error then I could uninstall and start again from scratch.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:15 am

Wouldn't it have been (far) easier to just open a terminal window and type (or copy & paste):

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paolorotolo/copy
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install copy
:roll:

The above will also (presumably) cause your system to automatically receive updates via mintUpdate (Update Manager) if/when the PPA gets updated.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 pm

It may be simple for MinDowManiac, but as an 84yeqr old who struggles to understand let alone keep up with all this modern IT world when the Terminal is mentioned it could be a foreign language.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:21 pm

pensioner77 wrote:It may be simple for MinDowManiac, but as an 84yeqr old who struggles to understand let alone keep up with all this modern IT world when the Terminal is mentioned it could be a foreign language.
I know what you mean to some extent - and I'm only in my 40s :roll: . When I was about 11 years old, I entered junior high school and discovered a Commodore PET 2001 (one of the first consumer microcomputers that had any oomph, I guess - it had a built in B&W monitor and a cassette tape storage drive and a ridiculous keyboard (NOT a "traditional" computer type one), along with very little memory and a BASIC computer language that no one seemed to know anything about because all the documentation had been lost). I (somehow) managed to teach myself how to use it and figure out enough BASIC commands to write some simple programs, then a friend found an actual list of commands (helpful, that :lol: ) and we were cooking with gas at that point. Now... I'm glad my old cookstove doesn't have a computer interface, or I would most assuredly NOT be, err, cooking with gas.

That's why I posted the commands in a CODE box - so you (and others) could copy them and paste them into a terminal - instead of just suggesting that y'all "add the PPA."

PPA stands for... I forget. But people compile software (their own or that others have developed) and place it into a PPA. Then others can add those PPAs to their "sources list," and they can then install those programs by running Synaptic Package Manager (or Software Manager, I guess), picking them from the list, and "hitting the button." Many find it easier to do it this way instead of downloading, compiling it themselves, and manually installing it. Also, the maintainer of the PPA (presumably) compiles newer versions as they become available, so we then get those updates just like we would for everything else instead of having to repeat the manual procedure each time ourselves (after checking, checking, checking, and finding that a newer version has actually been released in the first place).

It's not a perfect situation, because one must by nature of the PPA depend on another to do the work and they're not necessarily infallible in that regard. But if one is not exactly comfortable working in a terminal environment, it can be a real convenience.

Whether you - or anyone else - decide to use them is up to you, of course. However, if you do decide to, you just need to run a terminal (should be able to find one in your main menu as it'll have come pre-installed) and either copy each line in the CODE box from my previous post and paste it into your terminal (and press Enter) one at a time. Afterwards, "copy" should be installed on your system; and, as mentioned, when that gets updated, the person running that PPA should compile the newer version and your Update Manager will automatically update it for you, just like it does other installed things.

If you aren't comfortable with "copy & paste," you can of course type each line in manually. But it's easy to do. You highlight each line (individually). You can do this by placing your mouse cursor at the beginning of the line, hold down your left mouse button, and "drag" your mouse cursor across the line of text to the end, and then release your left mouse button. Then you need to copy it - either by holding your CTRL button down and pressing c (for copy) or by right-clicking the highlighted text and selecting copy from the menu (and left-clicking on that choice). Then you paste it into the terminal. You do that by switching to the opened terminal (hold down Alt and press Tab until it comes up). Then you either hold down Shift and CTRL and press v (for paste - I guess p was already taken :roll: ) or by right-clicking by the blinking cursor and selecting paste from the menu that opens (and left-clicking on it). Then press Enter to "run" the command. Repeat for each line.

It's a LOT simpler to do than to type - or read, I expect - how.

Back in the mid to late 1980s, a company sold laminated keyboard overlays. They were just big rectangles with a hole cut in the middle for the keyboard's keys, so that you could place it on your keyboard. You bought one for whichever computer you owned (and, for certain software packages, for the specific software you were running). They had things like keyboard shortcuts and such useful information printed on them so that the user had common "instructions" right there at his/her fingertips instead of having to remember everything or to write it down on post-it notes that always seem to end up on the floor for me. I wish they still had those. It'd be great for those who were new to Mint, for example, if one could be obtained for whichever version (Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, or Xfce) the person was using - and not just for those who happen to be "accomplished in age" :P .

BtW (that stands for "by the way," if you have not already learned that), congratulations on being 84 and not only using a computer but using a computer that has a LINUX operating system installed on it! Kudos.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:56 pm

pensioner77 wrote:It may be simple for MinDowManiac, but as an 84yeqr old who struggles to understand let alone keep up with all this modern IT world when the Terminal is mentioned it could be a foreign language.
if your interested, this fella takes a nice approach in fairly Lehman terms. i continue to study on him as i can, or even revisit certain issues. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3ACF32C59D

i will always have my reservations about 3rd party programs because they don't always get the attention of the development team ( usually hasher problems follow as a result ).

but enough about that. were you able to open terminal and enter your commands? and if not, just say you need further instructions on how to do so. not everyone is going to hang you out to dry, or maybe others simply don't have a solution. just remember, it takes a team of people to do what they do with linux.

i would not trouble yourself about Maniac, he is probably a salty veteran that comes around from time to time. my bet is he'll likely revisit after we get you inching closer to success(hopefully that is possible for you). bad to assume on my part, but it looks like atleast one other person in this forum is using that application.

as far as the code language goes... the 1st line is a command to open-up a new repo (repository) of data to be used, the 2nd line instructs you computer to standby for update instructions. and the last line provides the application that needs updating. so see, easy stuff right.

go get'em super senior :D

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Maniac! can you give an (example) code to figure out a list of dependencies . more importantly, is that list even possibly correct with 3rd party apps?

oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oxygenfarm » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:04 pm

'.... congratulations on being 84 and not only using a computer but using a computer that has a LINUX operating system installed on it! Kudos'
As a youngster of only 82.5, I have four computers on/under my desk (all running Mint plus some other fun Linux OS; one still has Win7 also). I started in 1982 on a Tandy Model 4 with 64k RAM and a 5.25 floppy. Amazing what you could get out of TRSDOS in those days!

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:07 am

I tried to follow the terminal approach and typed in the command lines, it went OK until the last line when it failed to recognise it. As this was the install command I had a go at looking in the package manager and found a reference to "copy" and checked this for installation. This seems to worked to some degree but I do not know this has installed everything it would have done at the terminal. As I say it works to some extent the task bar icon will allow a rt. click access to the web page but comes with the archive page and its inability to open if I try to open it from there. however I am wondering if I shoud bother any further as the "copy" system looks to just as complicated to use as setting it up! I only wanted it as an 'insurance' against a complete disaster such as a house fire, I already back up my photos and documents on USB sticks to cover a computer crash, but of coarse these would also go in a fire.
Thank you oxygenfarm for your comments I did not buy a computer with linux installed it has win 7, but I bought a linux mint 17 CD and installed it as a dual partition only keeping win 7 because my Adobe Photo elements programme will not run on linux.
So thank you all for your comments and support I will have decide if to continue with copy or not.

Matera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matera » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:07 pm

Wish I had gotten here sooner. I am a youngster of 68, with Mint on all three computers and Copy installed therein. Also in Windows on my dual-boot and at work (I'm the IT department of a small non-profit).

I'm wondering if you have an "open with" problem on top of It All. That can be checked out and usually remedied using the Properties dialog.

If that doesn't work, it would be best to start over. Either download without turning it over to Archive manager, or get the ppa. A couple of the fellows here have given nice clear instructions either way.

Bear in mind that Copy wants to use a folder called Copy, and will create it itself in whatever place you point it at. If you pre-make a folder called Copy, it will still make another inside it. Very simple-minded about that.

I have found Copy to be easier to manage than Dropbox, which I have used for years. Dropbox has fits if it's on a different partition and that partition is accidentally unmounted. Delete-o-mania. Also has to be installed as admin in Windows, where I prefer to use an unprivileged account. I won't try to describe the trouble that can make under the right circumstances. :x Copy asks questions first and shoots later.

I still haven't added the ppa, mainly because I haven't been using Copy very long and (LOL) also changed operating systems quite recently, and I'm just that chaotic. :mrgreen:
When I have a computer problem, I call myself.

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Re: how to install "copy" cloud storage SOLVED

Post by pensioner77 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:41 pm

After a lot of thoughts, I removed all references I could think of concerning my failed attempts to install "copy" and starting from scratch I tried using the Terminal and MinDewManiac's commands with I am pleased to say success. :D

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to install "copy" cloud storage SOLVED

Post by MtnDewManiac » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:49 am

pensioner77 wrote:I am pleased to say success. :D
I'm glad you succeeded. With the method you used, you should receive updates (as they become available and the PPA's maintainer compiles them) in your Update Manager just like Mint's (no need to go searching for them).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Newbie Questions”