Not enough shrink space?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
renzor
Level 1
Level 1

Not enough shrink space?

Post by renzor »

thank you
Last edited by renzor on Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Not enough shrink space?

Post by WharfRat »

renzor wrote:My Win8 is installed on a 120GB SSD with about 40gbs free but I when I go shrink volume I only get "3222" which is around 3gbs. Why is this the case?

Wondering if anyone has come across this when trying to install Mint
That's because it bumped-up against an unmovable file. I encountered that years ago with win7

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... l#13019840

You can try

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Be advised you're taking a chance with this though. In my case I didn't care about win7.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that you could disable the paging file, which is what was usually in the unmoveable space, then do a defrag from safe mode. Then do your partitioning, and your Linux install. Then boot back into Windows and re-enable the paging file.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ajcardiac
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajcardiac »

Yep, disable paging and hibernation and then do a multi-pass defrag before shrinking.
Then re-enable paging and hibernation.
You may also need to disable System Restore if there are still unmovable files blocking the shrink.
Linux Mint 17.2/17.1 ISO Seeder.
Primary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win 8.1 / Win 10 Insider
Secondary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider
Test rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / 17.2 Mate / 17.1 Xfce / 17.1 KDE / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider

Return to “Newbie Questions”