Mint 17.2 Space allocation?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
renzor
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17.2 Space allocation?

Post by renzor »

thank you
Last edited by renzor on Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 17.2 Space allocation?

Post by jackerbes »

I am new to Linux also and went through these same questions recently as I installed Mint 17.2 64-bit . And as I googled for answers and info there was a lot of variation as to the recommendations for the sizes of the Root, Home, and swap partitions.

I had a 2 TB hard drive with W7 on the primary 621 GB partition so Mint was going to go into a second 621 GB Extended partition. So I created these three partitions:

Root - 50 GB logical partition
Home - 535 GB logical partition
swap - 36 GB logical partition

I had read that 30 GB was more than enough for a Mint install and decided to err on the too big side with 50 GB

I had read that a swap of 2 x RAM was enough, have 12 GB of RAM now and thought I might have 24 GB of RAM eventually, and kicked that up to 36 GB for a swap area.

And what I did was create the Root and swap area and then just gave the remaining 535 GB to Home.

As of right now, with Mint installed, I have used this much of the Root and Home partitions:

Root - 50 GB logical partition - 43 GB free (15.0% full)
Home - 535 GB logical partition - 293 GB free (45.2% full)

You don't get stats on the swap area so I am just assuming I have enough.

With your 50 GB I think I would try something like this:

Root - 9 GB
Home - 25 GB
Swap - 16 GB

And then just keep an eye on the partition space usage with the Disks app.

And I am using the Home partition up fast because I have about 13 years of info accumulated on a stack of four SCSI drives (about 450 GB total storage capacity) that is being consolidated to Home partition.

When I have gotten through the consolidation and things have settled down I will consider resizing the home partition if it does not have about 1/3rd of it free. I still have another 713 GB free on that 2 TB drive and resizing partitions later is pretty easy to do under Linux. But you want to have a backup first of course.

I am a Linux newbie too so if any of the experts here feel I am giving bad advice or have made any errors I'd be glad to hear that.

Jack
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T520 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

swap double the size of RAM is a misunderstanding. This is right for machines with very few RAM, but definitely not for 8 GB. You need a little bit more than the amount of RAM, if you want to hibernate the system. But 50 GB is not really much room (depending of the amount of data you want to store on it), so I would not recommend this in this case. With 8 GB your machine will most likely never use swap, so a small swap (just to be sure) of about 2 GB will enough.

How you divide the rest is again a matter of the usage. I recommend 20 GB root and the rest for home, but also this is not written in stone.
renzor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by renzor »

Thanks for the reply guys really appreciated.

What is actually stored in root? If I want to install programs like chrome where does it get stored? Also things like graphics drivers, updates, packages etc
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jackerbes »

Think of it as root being for the operating system and home is area for the applications and user data. So once you get the OS installed there will not be a lot of growth in the Root area. There will be some for sure, but not a lot. Most of the growth will be in the Home area as you add apps and accumulate data and emails and stuff.

This post is from 32-Bit Mint on an Acer net book and the root partition is 30 GB with 6 GB used and 24 GB still free (18.6% full). So this install is about 1 GB less than the 64-bit version.

The home partition on this netbook it 120 GB and the swap is 10 GB with a 160 GB partition. So on this install so there is plenty of room for future additions...

Jack
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T520 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA

Return to “Newbie Questions”