rename computer icon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nobler
Level 1
Level 1

rename computer icon

Post by nobler » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm trying to find out how to rename the "Computer" icon on my LM17.2 desktop. On my Winblows systems, I always renamed "My Computer" to something useful like "D620" for my Dell Latitude D620. This makes it particularly easy to see which machine you are looking at when using KVMs. Does anybody know how to do this. I'm currently using both Cinnamon and XFCE, depending on the strength of the machine.
Thanks!

Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Re: rename computer icon

Post by Ceilidh2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 pm

This is easy in MATE, so I assume you have Cinnamon. You can't rename Computer, Trash, or Home in Cinnamon. If you could, a right click on them would bring up a context menu with "Rename" in it, like the rest of the icons on your Desktop. There is nothing in "Properties" either that will allow you to do this.
This has irked me previously, because on my system "Home" does not take me to /home, it takes me to /home/username, which is a totally different place, but that's just the way I have my system set up.
It may be possible by editing a file, but you would need a serious guru to guide you thru that.
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:37 pm

In Mate, if you install dconf-editor all the possible desktop settings become accessible. If you change a name, it is stored on a per-user basis in file ~/.config/dconf/user as a user-registry entry...
  • org.mate.caja.desktop.computer-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.home-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.network-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.trash-icon-name
In Chapter One, Boron slays the entire Marketing Department by explaining Asynchronous Protocols.

Bleke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bleke » Fri May 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Is there any way to do the same trick with Nemo?

Return to “Newbie Questions”