rename computer icon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nobler
Level 1
Level 1

rename computer icon

Post by nobler »

I'm trying to find out how to rename the "Computer" icon on my LM17.2 desktop. On my Windows systems, I always renamed "My Computer" to something useful like "D620" for my Dell Latitude D620. This makes it particularly easy to see which machine you are looking at when using KVMs. Does anybody know how to do this. I'm currently using both Cinnamon and XFCE, depending on the strength of the machine.
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ceilidh2

Re: rename computer icon

Post by Ceilidh2 »

This is easy in MATE, so I assume you have Cinnamon. You can't rename Computer, Trash, or Home in Cinnamon. If you could, a right click on them would bring up a context menu with "Rename" in it, like the rest of the icons on your Desktop. There is nothing in "Properties" either that will allow you to do this.
This has irked me previously, because on my system "Home" does not take me to /home, it takes me to /home/username, which is a totally different place, but that's just the way I have my system set up.
It may be possible by editing a file, but you would need a serious guru to guide you thru that.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

In Mate, if you install dconf-editor all the possible desktop settings become accessible. If you change a name, it is stored on a per-user basis in file ~/.config/dconf/user as a user-registry entry...
  • org.mate.caja.desktop.computer-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.home-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.network-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.trash-icon-name
Bleke

Post by Bleke »

Is there any way to do the same trick with Nemo?
nobler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nobler »

I'm running XFCE, not Cinnamon.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Mute Ant wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:37 pm In Mate, if you install dconf-editor all the possible desktop settings become accessible. If you change a name, it is stored on a per-user basis in file ~/.config/dconf/user as a user-registry entry...
  • org.mate.caja.desktop.computer-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.home-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.network-icon-name
    org.mate.caja.desktop.trash-icon-name
What's wrong with simply right-clicking and renaming? ;)
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

nobler wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:22 pm I'm trying to find out how to rename the "Computer" icon on my LM17.2 desktop.
Forget changing your computer name you have bigger fish to fry! Mint 17.x has reached the end of life in terms of support as a April of this year - which means no more security updates etc. After you update to a supported release then you can go about renaming your Computer desktop icon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”